Franki wrote:
> I'd love some tips,,, is this a question for the expert list?

I suspect so, especially if you don't get any answer in the next 24
hours.  I can't help you, I can spell DNS, I've read about it, but never
set it up.

Uuh, wait: Maybe I can help on squid -- it can save on total bandwidth
if you call the same (static) pages multiple times.  Most likely
scenario is if you have a LAN with several users with similar
interests.  I say static pages but that's not absolutely necessary.

The point is, the HTML headers, or squid, or something will recognize
when the page should be considered out-of-date (expired) at which point
a fresh page is fetched from the Internet.

To state what I didn't quite say earlier, the bandwidth savings come
from multiple views of the same (exact) page.  If a page has headers
that say it will expire in 30 minutes, you will save a lot of bandwidth
if 50 users all call it within the same half hour, but you will save
nothing if each view is, for example, 31 minutes apart.

The other thing for those 50 users in the same half hour is that 49 of
them will get very quick response, even if the LAN connection to the
Internet is a dial up.  The first caller will suffer the dial up
slowness.

Randy Kramer