Brian:

If I may chip in my two cents worth I've had a great deal of success
with flash by downloading the Macromedia Flash Player from
http://macromedia.com to my home directory and just unpacking the files
there. This will leave you with /home/myname/flash_linux folder, then
the directory to be scanned for plugins in my case as
/home/tom/flash_linux. Substitute the myname for whatever you've named
your home directory of course.
Works flawlessly for me.

Tom

--