Jerry wrote:
> we've all been at the beginning of my story... Sitting in the chair.. blank
> look on your face then all of a sudden IT DOES IT AGAIN!!! ARGH.  that
> annoying BSOD.  One day you decide yoiu've had enough.  that's it.  Where's
> the number to the computer store to see if they have a Linux distro that'll
> work with your machine.
>      After about 3 weeks of spending nearly every free moment trying to get
> just one little last detail of my system to work ...my fileserving script on
> mIRC / or a clone thereof for a *nix client...  I'm about tearing my hair
> out.  first off was the disappointment of Wine not liking Mandrake_Desk (the
> menu part of it) and crashing with a whole whopping 6 minute record of
> emulation (i got 3 hours on redhat... but my soundcard doesn't work with
> their distro).  Last week it was fighting with bochs-1.4 and finally giving
> up after sitting here for days just trying to get it to load some kind of
> boot floppy or image of one to make an image of a windows install.  I still
> haven't got the slightest clue why that won't work.  The third option,
> finding a script for kvIRC/BitchX/ircII/epic_ircII/kIRC/smIRC/x-chat/etc has
> turned out to be about the most frustrating.  Do *nix'ers not do
> filesharing?  i found one script that was half there (no kind of listmaker
> for an index of your files) and one that I can't get the installer binary to
> open even after having downloaded/configured/compiled/installed all the
> latest versions of c... c++.. compilers... parsers...fortran.. perl, python,
> and tcl/tk et cetera, trying different shells...  (yep... i checked the
> permissions.. .it's 777).
>      so... here i am back in Winblows writing this on OutCast Express 'cause
> i don't feel like re-installing linux for the 4th time in 3 days (at least
> it's pretty easy to do with those replay discs).  I know.. it's just one
> chat room out of a million that i can't work with.. but it's a lot of
> friends in there too.  I like Linux when it's running smooth.  I had my last
> linux box up for months without a reboot.
>        So.. I guess my question comes down to 2 things.. does anyone have
> either a fileserving script for x-chat or ircII(or its clones) or a disk
> image of a running windows 98 with samba access... or any resources they
> could point me towards.  If it's going to cost me 300 dollars to get VMware
> Workstation, I think I'll just deal with the BSOD.  (at least i got mine to
> be green instead of blue lol).
>                                         oops i wrote a book.  i'll shut up
> now.
>                                          thx in advance!  if there's an
> answer it's here.
>                                            Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

Ok...lets start with the most obvious. Does your hardware appear on the
Mandrake Linux HCL? Usually when a user is having this amount of trouble
there inevitably only two reasons for it. Hardware is the second.

I feel your pain my friend. I really do. I know as well as every other
Linux user on this list that the learning curve is very steep, and can
be nerve racking the first few weeks. Tell us a little bit about the
hardware on your system and what it is you're trying to get Mandrake to
do on that system.

O, and we do do file sharing. Quite well I might add. Samba is the cat's
meow for Linux and file sharing. the only thing I know thats better is a
  full-blown Novell Network. And Linux will do IPX also.

Mark
a.k.a. daRcmaTTeR