On hardware:  I did check on hardware, having been on/off of Linux for a few
years now that was the first place
I looked.  Here's some stats:  BOX:  Asus A7v Socket A Motherboard with an
AMD Athlon (kernel compiled for p3, not athlon--
went thru THAT bug already lol), 3dfx Voodoo3 3000 AGP videocard, Cnet
Pro200 ethernet (tulip/dmfe drivers written for this chipset),
Cendyne (*sp) 8x4x24 CD-rw (burned tons of cd's with it.. mostly backups..
under mdk8.2-works great) generic 36x cdrom (hardly ever used)
that i've used with redhat for the last 3 years.  Mouse-logitec marble mouse
(generic ps2), standard no-frills us 104key keyboard.  Generic monitor:
horiz 31.5-48.5/vert 50-70 (noninterlaced svga@60hz)  an intel easycam
(usb-can't find any drivers--need to just throw that piece of crap away lol)
no scsi devices, got my ide=scsi (or is it scsi-ide.. something like that)
line in linuxconf.

Yeah, i got looking around again today, and see there's a lot of individual
machine/small network servers on the web.... and of course the
AGSatellite which I've used/still use, it's just so... cold and impersonal i
guess.. not what i'm used to.  I op on some mp3 chans and I've made a lot of
friends there over the last 5 years and it'd be nice to be able to stick
with it ;-)  I'm going to just have to learn tcl or perl and write my own
script i guess.  (check back with me in oh.. about 15 years and see if i've
picked up the manual yet).  Hehehe... oh sorry folks i re-read my mail and i
was whining like a little kid.  Been up way too long--about 30 hours of
non-stop *nixing can get to ya.  Thanks for the replies... wish I had the
syslogs of what was going on with that program i couldn't get to work...
it's called MP3Tools (for epic4/BitchX/mirc/etc) if anyone wants to torture
themselves trying to get a binary in a set of tcl scripts to work.
Uck but i've got other things now, gotta at least get a boot that comes up.
i haven't changed the location of anything, and been installing from a
replay install... checked for bad blocks on disk... i had to have done
something somewhere.... but _right_before_ init changes to runlevel 3 I hang
until i hit the Print Screen/SysRq button (only time i've *ever* seen that
button actually DO something lol)  (will hang for hours) and then at
shutdown/reboot when it tried to sync the clock (locks-can't recover)
anyone know the package that does the clock sync?  i'm going back and
checking archives.. i know there was clock stuff since i already had a clock
issue but it was different.
     I don't know if it's on this list or expert@linux-mdk but someone
highly recommends Winex from transgaming.com.  Any experience with this from
others?  does it work better than codeweavers wine or the latest versions
from winehq?  the only thing i can get those to run anywhere close to stable
is notepad, all because of Mandrake's menu system (hmpf).  [or..... has
anyone taken mandrakes menus off and still got it to work with gnome or
kde?]  I seem to have more work to do.  EEEEEK!  another book.

>going and sitting in the corner<

Jerry.

(No jerry, that penguin doesn't remind me of Charles Manson.. it's gotta be
just you)