I recently installed OpenOffice from the OpenOffice.Org site. Overall I find it is
very satifactory. However, one thing bugged me; the quality of the font display was
terrible.  Having also installed the Windows verison of OpenOffice on my desktop at
work  I knew the fonts could look better, so I decided to see what could be done to
fix them on Mandrake 8.1. As it turns out, the steps to fix the font display are
fairly simple if you have access to a windows installation. There are two parts to
process.  Part one fixes the font display of the OpenOffice program itself. Part two
addresses the fonts udes in OpenOffice Documents.

Part One.

1. Copy all the truetype fonts from the Fonts folder in the Windows folder to
temporary folder on your Mandrake system. Only copy the files that have a ttf
extension.  I used a Samba connection to my Windows desktop to copy to the files over
to my laptop.  If you don't have network you could copy them to a floppy or burn them
to a CD.

2. Login as root and run DrakFont.

a. Click the ADD fonts button and locate the temporary folder you copied the TrueType
fonts to.  You should see a list of all the fonts in the FILES window. If you don't
see the fonts check to make sure you have selected the correct directory.
b. Click the OK button and another window will pop-up listing the fonts.
c. Click the "Install All" button to install all the fonts.

3. Exit out of DrakFont.

Part Two.

1. While still logged in as root. Open a terminal session and change to the OpenOffice
installation folder.  If you used the default location when you installed OpenOffice,
it should be in /opt/openoffice1.0.

2. Run spadmin by typing ./spadmin and a printer administration window should appear.
Don't forget to include the ./ in front of the file name.

3. Click the Fonts button then the ADD button.

4. In the Source directory box type in the path to same temporary directory where you
copied the TrueType fonts to. Or you can use the browse button to browse to the
directory.

5. Click the Select All button then the OK button to install the fonts.

6. When the process is complete you should see all the fonts in the window.  Click the
Close button to exit the font display window then click the close button on the
Printer Administration window and you are done.

That's it.