From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Jim Turner
Sent: Tuesday, 28 May 2002 5:31 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] How to install connexant modem driver with the
.tar extention

On Mon, 27 May 2002, shane wrote:

> On Sunday 26 May 2002 10:11 pm, Nashib .J. opened a general hailing
> frequency and transmitted to all open stations:
>
> > Can someone inform me if internet browsing under Linux is quicker than
> > browsing under Windows9X.
>
> generally spealing it is, at least in my experience.  same connection,
same
> server, same time , (ok one right after the other) when i had a windows
> machine linux downloaded files both ftp and http faster than win2k.  but
> not a whole lot.  if you are thinking your 56k will act like dsl, it
ain't.
> :)

When downloading the mandrake iso images from linuxiso.org with Win98, I
consistently got 45k/sec downloads.  I don't know if it cycles through
different mirrors or not, but as I said, they were consistently 45k/sec
(and I downloaded several times due to IE temp directory issues).
Anwyay, isntalled Mandrake, same machine, same ethernet card, etc, and
downloading images from linuxiso.org again, consistently got 100k/sec
downloads.  It seems a bit far-fetched that linux should handle my
ethernet card -that- much better than windows, but like I said, the
results were the same every time for several trials on both systems.  So,
for whatever it's worth....

--jim

> --
> "After you install Windows XP, you have the option to create user
accounts.
> If you create user accounts, by default, they will have an account type of
> Administrator with no password." -- Microsoft KnowledgeBase article
Q293834

> shane
> Profile at: http://dmoz.org/profiles/shen.html
> Proud to be a DMOZ editor since 10-98
> Mandrake Users Club Member http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/club/
> Registered linux user #101606 @ http://counter.li.org/

~
Love her as I loved her, and there will be joy.    ~ King Humperdink