On Monday 27 May 2002 08:06 pm, Brian Koppe wrote:
> Ok - weird.  I decided, just going on a limb, to switch the disc
> from my CD-RW to my DVD-ROM.  Now I can read it just fine - with
> setup.sh and all.  However, the interesting part is that I don't
> see the files I see when I read it with my CD-RW!  Does anyone have
> any idea why the two are reading the drives differently?
>
> Thanks
> Brian

     Do a Google on CD drives and you'll get lot'sa info.  Basically
tho, CD and DVD and CD-RW drives all use slightly different laser
wave lengths/widths. Particularly between CD and CD-RW drives.
Another issue is any drive that spins CD's over 12x are prone to wear
and the spindle starts wobbling slightly. Specially drives than are
rated 32x and over. Often enough to make the media hard or impossible
to read.  Then there's the media itself.  The quality and useability
varies widely, sometimes even within a brand name spindle of 50
CDR's.  Same is true for production CD's (ie, manufactured, not
recorded).

     Some CD-RW drives (eg, Plextor, Yamaha) are known to work well
with even poor media.  Other drives (eg, Sony, HP) are know to be
more fussy. 'Bout all you can do to minimize these situations is thru
trial'n error, find media that works well with your CD-RW, and never
burn faster than 8x.  If you still encounter problems, burn at 4x.
--
    Tom Brinkman                    Corpus Christi, Texas