Femme,

As you said Linux has come a long way, but I do not think that it is that
far away from being an option for the desktop.  Keep in mind that Corel
Linux OS (before Corel spun it off as Xandros (http://www.xandros.net/)),
hid virtually all configuration behind the scenes (including partitioning)
and featured a desktop that looked very close to MS.

Mandrake also is very close.  Just about everything you could possibly want
to configure can be done via GUI programs.  Want to install something?
There is rpmdrake (specifically created by Mandrake), as well as Gnome and
KDE equivalents.  Want to browse the web?  You can choose from Netscape,
Mozilla, Konquerer, etc.  Want to configure your system?  You can do it via
Mandrake Control Center, Linuxconf, or any one of a number of "GUI" based
configuration tools.  Want to read e-mail?  Try K-Mail, Evolution, or any
of the other GUI items out there.

This is a far cry from Slackware 2.x and 3.x, which pretty much required
you to hand-compile everything, and which had no way of knowing whether a
dependency was installed or compiled without running a configure from the
command line.  Heck, the default kernel in Slackware 2.x and 3.x did not
include networking by default, so if you even wanted to access the internet
you had to recompile from scratch -- configuring it via a text based
question / answer.

In mandrake (as well as several other distros), the dependencies (for the
most part) are take care of automatically.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.

But, believe me, things could be a lot more "tech" oriented then they are now.

Michael

--
Michael Viron
Project Manager / Primary Developer, General Education Online