>OK - but in Wins, I can manage most things, and visit a friendly
>professional for paid help when I'm really stuck.  Where do I find a
>similar expert in linux, where I could take my box in on a Saturday
>morning and spend an hour or two watching, talking, listening and learning?
>
>Perhaps we need some sort of directory of such help.  There must be
>someone here in West Yorkshire, but I've not come across him/her.
>
>Anne

   Well this might not help you right away but the growth rate of Linux seems to be
fast enough that that local professional help should be avalable soon, just a matter
of time. Maybe any day or maybe a few years. If you do a search and find the
statistics for linux growth and extend the curve into the future a bit I think that
you
will see that more local help is not to far off in the future.
   Maybe it's time to start a local users groupe in your area.

    Marc