Errol Stagg wrote:

>If you installed Mandrake 8.2, and if I have understood you correctly, you
>should have had the option of logging in as a single user without having to
>enter your user name and password every time you use the operating system,
>as in Windoze!
>Perhaps some one can suggest a way of making this alteration via the root
>password without having to reinstall.
>
>Sursum Corda
>
>Errol Stagg

When you installed the software you were asked to set a password....
 Now it seems you may have forgotten it.  Am I correct?

The easy way to change the root password is

At the linux boot screen, type

linux single

and when it comes up you will see a black screen with a prompt like this

#

Now you type

# passwd

And you can change the password to something you know (like 111)

Now to help you more than that you need to run this command

# uname -a

and write down what it says, so we knoe what we are dealing with.  LOTS
of linux disks have appeared in magazines, and we need to know which
one.  After that

# reboot

will get you started

Your login name is root

Your password is 111

Now you can add other users and so on.  If it is MandrakeLinux, I can
instruct you further on how to set up users and to set up autologin, but
I really really need to know the version, which the uname output will
give me unequivocally.

Civileme