8.2 runs pretty well on my 300PL, but that has 160mb ram and has a UDMA100
controller card and 40gig 7200rpm hard drive
as well as a TNT2 PCI card.
and I only use KDE if there is something that I need to do that requires it.
other then that its icewm.

Incidently for the gentleman that posted recently who also had a 300pl:
mine is a HX chipset based board, it has edo dimm slots, (not simm).
it has an onboard Matrox Mystique with its own ram.(not shared memory).
Intel 10/100 onboard Network Adaptor.

All of which was found by mandrake, including both video cards.

I think its better to say that KDE and Gnome from 8.2 are equivalent to XP..
not 8.2 itself, for the most part, from the console, it seems faster then
8.1 or 7.2 (never tried 8.0). Its only when you tack a big Window manager on
that things slow down at all, Icewm on 8.2 on this 233mmx is about the same
speed as WinXP is on my 400mhz PII laptop which has 280mb ram..

so it compares very well.

rgds

Frank