On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:19:49 +0200 (CEST)
Ralph Slooten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "mencoder -dvd 1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=633
> -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=96:cbr -o Matrix.avi"
>
>                        (all on one line)
>
> Broken down this is:
>
> -dvd 1                =use track 1 of the DVD
> -ovc lavc     =use the libavcodec (included in mplayer) for the "ovc"
>                (Output Video Codec)
> -lavcopts..   =use the DivX codec (opensource), with Very High Quality
>                (vhq), with a video bitrate (vbitrate) of 633
> -oac mp3lame  =for the Output Video Codec (oac), use lame
> -lameopts...  =for lame, use a bitrate (br) of 96kb/s with a Constant
>                Bitrate (cbr)
> -o Matrix.avi =Output results to Matrix.avi

Thank you very much! I have been playing around with mencoder for a
while, trying to get everything to work. Now it does. Turns out i didn't
have lame installed. You are planning to write that book, right? Please?

Personally, the big problem for me, and i assume many other video /
multimedia newbies, is that i have no idea what most of the options do,
or what all the technical stuff means. Kinda like the situation with
people who are new to linux -- something that is simple for the
initiated can really discourage a newbie. Like `open an xterm, su to
root, and mount the file on loopback as type ext2'. That could cause
a linux newbie to go running straight back to ms windows. I feel the
same way when i read the mplayer / mencoder manpage. What is demuxing?
What is deinterlacing? What is a vrc_strategy? Do i need that?

That sort of stuff. So, thanks for the simple straight-forward command
and explanation.

--
Chris Spackman

gpg: 9B6B 860E 7C06 787F 366F 5D3E 7152 DCB2 FC51 51B9