On Thursday 20 June 2002 16:19, you wrote:
Many Thanks Ralph,
by the way is Slooten, Dutch by any chance.

> > my spare partition and subdirectory is,
> > /mnt/ext2-vol6/downloads2/divx
> > I have a couple gigs to spare.

>  ====================
> Log into your console as root ("su")
>
> ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/dvd
>
> exit

reports file exits
  ======================

> "mencoder -dvd 1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=633
> -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=96:cbr -o Matrix.avi"

I couldn't wait untill lame + libraties were installed,to try it,
So I put up a terminal and proceeded with just this command.
It all looks very impressive. However I haven't a clue where
the output is going, I don't even know what the name of the file is,
in order to look for it. Isn't there some way I could pipe this to my
chosen directory /mnt/ext2-vol6/downloads2/divx. How about a | (pipe)
or a > redirect , or something.

John

--
John Richard Smith