Scott wrote:

>On Saturday 22 June 2002 01:36 pm, you wrote:
>
>>On Saturday 22 June 2002 11:58 am, Ralph Slooten wrote:
>>
>>>Soundblaster? It's about the most well known one around, and
>>>although Linux may not support the latest top of the range cards,
>>>you implied that you wanted a cheaper, so I would just go for an
>>>older sort. They are cheap. As far as easy to configure...
>>>auto-detected should be easy enough ;-)
>>>
>>>Greetings
>>>Ralph

>>http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/hardware/hres2.html#Sound
>>
>>   has two links, one for OSS and one for ALSA.  Check out both for
>>supported devices, but I'd try for a card supported by ALSA.  You
>>should also take a look inside that Compaq to see if you have
>>available pci and/or isa slots, what IRQ's are free, and if the
>>Compaq currently has onboard sound... can it be disabled in bios?
>>Make sure you don't buy anything that needs closed source proprietary
>>drivers.
>>

>Looking in my bios, I don't see anything that looks like it disables my
>on-board sound.  What does that mean? Some sort of unpleasantness I'm sure...
>SW

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Well if you have on-board sound it may be posible to use it.  A number
of ALSA drivers/configurations are non-working at the moment, but often
the alternaticve OSS drivers do work.  Do you have linux installed
already?  If so let's see

cat /etc/modules.conf

and

lspcidrake

outputs

Just run those in a terminal window, highlight the output with a mouse,
then middle-click it onto your mail composition.

Civileme