On Saturday 22 June 2002 03:42 pm, Scott wrote:
  me:
> > http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/hardware/hres2.html#Sound
> >
> >    has two links, one for OSS and one for ALSA.  Check out both
> > for supported devices, but I'd try for a card supported by ALSA.
> > You should also take a look inside that Compaq to see if you have
> > available pci and/or isa slots, what IRQ's are free, and if the
> > Compaq currently has onboard sound... can it be disabled in bios?
> > Make sure you don't buy anything that needs closed source
> > proprietary drivers.

> Looking in my bios, I don't see anything that looks like it
> disables my on-board sound.  What does that mean? Some sort of
> unpleasantness I'm sure... SW

   That's a polite way to put it, ie, unpleasantness  :)  I've got a
Soyo mboard with onboard AC97 (VIA). I have a bios setting (actually
2) to try'n kill it. This works, but it won't then completely enable
an old AWE64 (isa) Soundblaster I tried to get workin again.  Both
Winblows98 or Mandrake 8.x

    Most ready made systems (like your Compaq) don't allow/have needed
bios options, even some good hardware has a hard time overcomin
win-hardware crap.  Best solution (tho the trend is against it), is
not to buy win-orientainted-hardware in the first damn place.

    I knew better when I bought an otherwise good motherboard  ....
but it's gettin real hard lately not to settle for Billy-
tainted-hardware. This is M$'s real crime.  Another fault is that
Linux sort'a sux when it comes to sound.  I'm back to usin onboard
AC97 with ALSA system wide, and forcin some apps that don't like ALSA
(mplayer, xmms), to use OSS. aRts is history in this scenario ;(
--
    Tom Brinkman                      Corpus Christi, Texas