On Monday 24 June 2002 12:29 pm, Nick Andriash wrote:

> I have been humming and hawing about installing Mandrake 8.2 for some
> time now, but perhaps you fine people can help allay my fears:
>
> 1) I will be purchasing a new Box to install 8.2 on, and most likely
> will be a P III 1.3Ghz with a 40 GB HDD, CDRW, etc., but am worried
> about having enough RAM. I see there are already discussions on
> GNOME, KDE and Enlightenment... which I presume are GUI's for
> Linux... that are all seemingly resource hungry, so I will try for
> 512 MB RAM with the 1.13Ghz chip and hopefully that will be enough
> for any one I choose. BTW, are those choices made during install? Can
> you install more than one and then switch back and forth?

256MB on a 1GB PIII is fine for me with KDE 3.0.1. If you select
multiple window managers when installing Mandrake switching between
them is straightforward: you pick from a list when logging in.

> 2) I have a Palm M515 and it is imperative that I be able to Sync
> with my Desktop. I understand JPilot will do that... which requires a
> whole bunch of other Programs to make it work it seems. Does anyone
> have any experience having their Palm work with Linux?

I'm using a Clie with Mandrake. But I don't bother with Linux
synchronisation and desktop software (and have never really used the
todo, mail, diary and address book); far easier is to mount the Clie's
memory stick as an extra device - support for doing this is built in -
and manipulate files directly on it.

> 3) I have a lot of Word XP Documents and Excel Spreadsheets that I
> need to keep around, so is there any Linux Software out there that
> will allow me to read and edit those files? Better still, is there
> such a thing as MS Office for Linux? Better alternatives?

OpenOffice.org 1.0 (www.openoffice.org) is what you need; it's
essemtially an Office clone. KOffice (www.koffice.org) comes with KDE
and is also good, although the compatibility with Word documents is not
quite as thorough as that in OOo. OOo has opened everything I've thrown
at it with only minor glitches, including documents which Word refused
to open (!)

> 4) I work a lot with PGP and GnuPG, so the Mail Client that I end up
> with will have to support both Programs... but at least GnuPG. Is
> Linux like Windows where you can download any Client you want, or
> does the Mail Client come packaged with the Desktop or GUI such as
> KDE and GNOME?

You can download any client you want, and most are integrated with GnuPG
and PGP. Both KDE and Gnome come with email clients - kmail
(kmail.kde.org) and evolution
(www.ximian.org/products/ximian_evolution/) respectively which are as
good as any.

Alastair