On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 05:29, Nick Andriash wrote:

> 1) I will be purchasing a new Box to install 8.2 on, and most likely will
> be a P III 1.3Ghz with a 40 GB HDD, CDRW, etc., but am worried about
> having enough RAM. I see there are already discussions on GNOME, KDE and
> Enlightenment... which I presume are GUI's for Linux...

Correct. Some require more resources than others. Try 'em all and see
which you like best.

> ...that are all
> seemingly resource hungry, so I will try for 512 MB RAM...

512 MB would be great. 128 MB would be the recommended minimum. There's
no such thing as too much memory, so get as much as you can.

> ...with the 1.13Ghz
> chip and hopefully that will be enough for any one I choose. BTW, are
> those choices made during install? Can you install more than one and then
> switch back and forth?

Yes and yes. You can install one, some, or all, and later change your
mind, installing and/or uninstalling at will. At each logon, you can
chose which GUI you want to use for that session. So it's easy to try
them all, chose your favorites, change your mind, whatever. Soon you'll
realize how limiting it is to have one single built in GUI like in
Windows.

> 3) I have a lot of Word XP Documents and Excel Spreadsheets that I need to
> keep around, so is there any Linux Software out there that will allow me
> to read and edit those files? Better still, is there such a thing as MS
> Office for Linux? Better alternatives?

I use OpenOffice, an outstanding replacement for MS Word, Excel, and
PowerPoint. It's better than MS Office, no doubt, and can open and save
in MS formats.

Once you get 8.2 installed, let us know so we can share in the
celebration!

Warren