On Monday 24 June 2002 09:46 am, Derek Jennings wrote:
> On Monday 24 June 2002 12:29, Nick Andriash wrote:
> > I have been humming and hawing about installing Mandrake 8.2 for some
> > time now, but perhaps you fine people can help allay my fears:
> >
> > 1) I will be purchasing a new Box to install 8.2 on, and most likely will
> > be a P III 1.3Ghz with a 40 GB HDD, CDRW, etc., but am worried about
>
> SNIP
>
> One more tip I meant to give you Nick.. You will find Linux will install on
> virtually any hardware, but brand new 'exotic' hardware should be avoided
> unless you know a Linux driver exists for it. (For example Nvidia NForce
> chip sets have only recently been supported)  Also do not bother buying a
> Motherboard with on board IDE RAID  It will be difficult to install Linux
> on it, Linux will not be able to use the on board RAID, and in any case
> Linux can do a superior version of RAID without any motherboard hardware at
> all.
>
> Western Digital Hard Drives should be avoided since WD specifically say
> they do not support Linux and most HD problems on this list are with WD
> Hard drives.
>
> The hardware you are most likely to have problems with are scanners and
> printers.
> Scanners not on this list are unlikely to work.
> http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html
>
> Printers mostly will work, but with differing degrees of print quality.
> Check out your printer here :- http://www.linuxprinting.org/
>
> Mandrake will autodetect and install your scanner and printer for you, but
> will obviously only be able to do it for supported models.
>
> HTH
>
> derek

Nick:
While we're on the subject of hardware, here's another headsup: Get a real
modem. An external type that uses a serial port connection is certain to
work, but after that it gets a bit murky. Some PCI cards work fine, others
are going to take some extra work, and still others just won't work. Take a
look at:
linmodems.org
www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
-- cmg