OK
<mutter and grumble>

CyberMAX case, Jetway 601CF C3-900 256M RAM, Samsung 8XDVD 40G Maxtor,
vanilla floppy.

Installed with many many errors.

CD DRIVE constantly went off line or errored out on simple requests

I decided the CD drive was bad and pulled it, putting in a NEC DVD which
worked fine.

Two weeks later:

Jetway 630TCF with Pentium III 866 in a HP Vectra desktop case (one of
the best case designs of all time)
256M Memory 40G Maxtor, HP floppy (came with the case).  Oops, needed to
test DVD and the only one around was the 8X Samsung in the junk box.

Flawless install

Flawless performance even with xine.

OK suspicions mounting, I swapped in the other jetway rig and put the
630 and its hard drive in the CyberMAX case.

The result is once again flawless performance both systems.

Now I swap DVDs

(AHA--I had forgotten the Samsung was hard to insert, binding on the
right side and requiring considerable force.)

Great perfformance on the HP, and squirrelly performance on the CyberMAX.

Put everything back to original start of this swapping and everything
worked.

Could it be that the compression on the Samsung from a small bay and a
slightly oversize drive was warping the media rotational path?

Apparently so.  </mutter and grumble>

There is no substitute for intelligence properly used.  <Writes memo to
self to practice practice practice thinking>

Civileme