On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:35:31 -0500
"Jason J.W. Pock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> All I want to do is use Linux.

Umm, that invites two questions:  a) Why?  and b) What sort of work do
you want to use it for?

>  Why must it be so difficult?

Difficult compared to what?

>  I've
> tried installing it from Red Hat 7.1 and 7.2 cd's.  I've tried
> installing it from Debian cd's.  NO LUCK!  And it's always this
> XFree86 stuff.  I just can't figure it out.  AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!
> Does anyone else feel this way?

I don't, but I have very limited experience with Linux, I admit.  I've
been using FreeBSD since Feb 1995.  I spent several hours with pencil,
paper, and pocket calculator working on my XFree86 configuration that
first time, but nevertheless the net result was *so much better* than
any of the various general-purpose computer systems that I had dealt
with in the previous 30 years that FreeBSD has been my strong preference
ever since.

These days, with PCI/AGP and I2C/DDC/EDID equipment that identifies
itself, XFree86 4.2.0 virtually installs itself.

Sorry if this seems a bit of a rant, but I'm responding to a bit of a
rant.

What I would suggest is that you remove all traces of previous
installations of XFree86 and start over with 4.2.0.  "sudo rm -rf
/usr/X11R6" and "sudo find /etc -name "X*" -delete" should do it.

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html