Reich calls for 'march on Washington'
By: Fred Barbash

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0809/26224.html

Robert Reich, the former Labor secretary, scholar
and commentator, called Tuesday for a "march on
Washington" on Sept. 13 -"Grandparents Day" - in
support of a health care bill that offers a
public option.

While he said organizing was not his strength, he
would be prepared to assist. "If enough people
feel that's the best way for their voices to be
heard, and can't be heard in any other way, then
we march," Reich said in a reader
question-and-answer session in POLITICO's Arena.

A group of conservatives have already announced a
"tea party" movement march on Washington for
Sept. 12. An opposing march the next day, if one
were to materialize, could make for an
interesting weekend.

Reich's suggested march is the latest
manifestation of liberal anger about signs that
the Obama administration may be willing to live
without a public option if it means a health care
bill can become law. "Very few things happen in
Washington that are in the public's interest when
corporations have huge financial stakes in the
game, as they obviously do with health care -
unless the public is actively involved, engaged
and organized," Reich wrote. "We won't get a
public option, or anything close to it, unless
people who feel strongly about it make a racket."

The "first step is to be very loud and very
vocal: Write, phone, e-mail, your congressional
delegation and the White House. Second step: Get
others to do the same. Third step: Get voters in
Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, and other states
where Blue Dog Dems and wavering Senate Dems
live, and have them make a hell of a fuss. Fourth
step: March on Washington."

He suggested the morning of Sept. 13 because
"that's a Sunday, and it's also Grandparents Day.
I've just become a grandparent, and I'm worried
as hell about the kind of world my little
granddaughter is inheriting. "
© 2009 Capitol News Company, LLC