RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[13] OPTA stats for Charlton
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
Them first:

25  Games 26

ATTACKING
30  Goals scored 64
1.20  Ave goals per game 2.46
44%  Shooting Accuracy 48%
11%  Goals to shots % 17%

PASSING
8,824  Passes 13,792
71%  Pass completion % 82%

DEFENDING
72%  Tackle success rate % 70%
30  Goals conceded 35
1.20  Ave goals conceded per game 1.35

DISCIPLINE
376  Fouls 358
40  Yellow cards 35
3  Red cards 1
8,138  Opta Index Score 11,707

---------------------------------
[12] JP McManus's mate says
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
John O'Shaughnessy:

"I wouldn't say JP's crazy about football." "Not the way he is about racing or
hurling. It's not particularly out of love that he goes to watch Manchester United. He
likes Sir Alex Ferguson, but mainly he sees investing in United as a way of making
more money. He sees it as a way of adding to his profit margins."

---------------------------------
[11] Coolmore mafia still sneaking up on the blind side
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
>From the Guardian:

Tom Hickey, a financial analyst with Deutsche Bank, is convinced an Irish takeover is
still on the agenda. "These guys love situations like this," he says. "They're not
going to negotiate in public - especially not when United are in the middle of a
winning run and the club's share price is going up. But I've no doubt they are still
pursuing United, and Fergie's decision to stay on as manager is great news for them.

"They don't want to rock the boat just now, but the suggestion that they won't buy any
more shares because JP is an Arsenal fan is a smokescreen. If they think that owning
9% of United is a good investment with or without Ferguson, they are likely to
conclude that owning 20% with him would be an even better one."

---------------------------------
[10] Curbishley on Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
"I spoke to Alex Ferguson this week and said 'It sounds as if you're going to be
around for another 10 years.'.

"I know he sees similarities with our clubs. I think he admires us.

"And I know a lot of managers look up to him. I certainly didn't want to see the back
of him."

---------------------------------
[9] Curbishley on Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
"I still get a thrill out of watching players like Van Nistelrooy and David Beckham
here. It's a privilege.

"There's so much talk about money and players misbehaving in nightclubs but it's great
to see Van Nistelrooy in action.

"When you're toiling away in the First Division this is what you look forward to."

---------------------------------
[8] What are you if you scoff the lot?
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
Bizarre story of the day from Ananova:

Men who eat meat pies are adventurous in bed and those who opt for minced beef and
onion are great kissers, according to a new study.

The study, commissioned by food firm Holland's, identifies seven key types of
personality among Britain's pie eaters.

Men who prefer meat pies are said to be super masculine and physically adventurous but
meat and potato man is said to have a "lot more sensitivity".

The minced beef and onion fan is described as "quietly confident, a great kisser and
believes variety is the spice of life".

Steak and kidney pie man loves the great outdoors and large helpings while those who
plump for steak and kidney pudding enjoy fantasies.

Cheese and onion pie eaters are said to be "slightly snobby" and favour the high life,
disliking crude partners and preferring to wash down the savoury snack with champagne.

The chicken and mushroom fan is described as "earthy, sensual passionate and loves
energetic sex followed by a massage".

Psychologist Donna Dawson interviewed 200 people before coming up with the categories,
which apply to both men and women.

A spokesman for Holland's said: "All these characters are our customers and they eat
more than 75 million of our pies each year."

---------------------------------
[7] Into the Valley
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
Mickey on Charlton:

"I remember from last season that it's not easy to play against Charlton.

"They're a good team and the atmosphere down there is going to be terrific.

"They work hard. They don't have many big names, but they all work hard for each other.

"They are a team who try to score goals. They signed Jason Euell in the summer, while
they already had Jonatan Johansson up front so they are a dangerous team."

---------------------------------
[6] Mickey: I've not had a tight one before
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
"It's very tight at the top. I don't remember a situation like this before where there
have been four or five teams at the top.

"It's good for everybody else and we have to keep our concentration until the end. We
must keep going to the end of the league and the Champions League."

---------------------------------
[5] Thank god for that!
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
L'Equipe had this story yesterday. We were interested in Roger Lemerre, the french
national team manager. A french agent proposed the name of Lemerre to the United
officials in december and we seemed interested. A meeting was even scheduled for the
11 january but was cancelled at the last minute.

Lemerre refused to comment.

---------------------------------
[4] Jaap ban reduced
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
>From Ananova:

Jaap Stam has had his ban for nandrolone use reduced from five to four months.

An appeal board from the Italian Football Federation heard the cases of both the
former Manchester United defender and Brescia's Josep Guardiola.

The board decided the pair should receive similar bans, so the Spanish player's
previous four-month ban was upheld.

Stam, now with Lazio, has protested his innocence after testing positive for the
anabolic steroid.

---------------------------------
[3] Sabre - Utd for me
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
"I am in Manchester, I have a contract and it has never crossed my mind to return to
Lazio.

"There were many reasons that made me decide to come to Manchester - like the trouble
with my passport.

"It is true I went to Rome last weekend, but that was to get treatment for my knee.

"I did see my ex-team-mates Hernan Crespo and Claudio Lopez, and I still have my house
there.

"But I didn't meet with any club directors to discuss a possible transfer. I am a
United player and I intend to complete my contract."

---------------------------------
[2] Roman fog
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
Fergie on Lazio:

"I don't know what is going on with Lazio - 'Seba' obviously enjoyed his time there
and had a great relationship with their fans.

"But I think a lot of the stuff coming out of Italy about him going back is a bit of a
smokescreen to cover their problems."

---------------------------------
[1] Veron no go
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
As his mate Crespo threatens to leave at the end of the season, he says of Sabre:

"In order to win we have to buy major players. I hope that Veron returns but he is
with Manchester (United), a team first in their league.

"If he is going to come here, he must be given guarantees."

---------------------------------
[39] The Cathy Ferguson appreciation society
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, February 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
"You are my Cathy,
my only Cathy,
you made us happy,
to make him stay,
and when you`re smiling,
we`ll keep reminding,
please don`t take my Cathy away!"

tune: no comment...:)
Keep the red flag flying!

Ståle

---------------------------------
[38] Bollocks of course but at least it winds up Real!
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, February 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From CNN

'Real Madrid officials have denied a report that Portuguese international midfielder
Luis Figo wants to leave the club to join Manchester United, Spanish sports papers
said Friday.

Leading sports daily Marca said unidentified officials at the club had dismissed as
unfounded a midweek radio report on the popular Onda Cero station which said Figo
wished to quit the Spanish powerhouse so he could play in the English Premier League
before retiring.

The radio report added that the 29-year-old wanted his agent Jose Veiga to begin
negotiations in time to depart Madrid this summer.

No one was immediately available at Real Madrid for comment Friday. '

---------------------------------
[37] Gossip latest
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, February 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
Ginola's free transfer to Everton has released their wage bill and will enable Villa
to make a bid for Dwight Yorke.

[36] Song for Charlton
Posted Friday, February 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
Now every sinlge one of us loves Cathy Ferguson
Loves Cathy Ferguson
Loves Cathy Ferguson