RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[8] Fergie will quit club after this contract
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2002 by tb:
"I'm pleased to be staying - but once this contract is up that will be it.

"I have no intention of staying on at the club in any capacity whatsoever."

"I made the decision to retire two years ago when circumstances were different.

"There are people at the club now on the same wavelength as me. They want what I want.

"I thought at the time that the announcement I made was the right thing to do because
it gave everybody the opportunity to do what was best for the club.

"I now realise it was a mistake - it was too early."

---------------------------------
[7] And more misery for O'Dreary
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2002 by tb:
As he contemplates the Intertoto:

"If we do go into the Intertoto Cup, then I fully agree with the chairman, but with 36
points to play for it is a little bit premature to talk about it.

"There's still a lot of games to play, but I have no arguments if we do go into it."

I think we know a song about this

---------------------------------
[6] More Sheep trials
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2002 by tb:
>From the Observer:

The manager and chairman of Leeds United will be forced to answer questions in court
about the club's 'cover-up' of some of its players' involvement in incidents
surrounding the savage beating of an Asian student.

Team boss David O'Leary, chairman Peter Ridsdale and a number of the club's top stars
will be called as key witnesses in a legal action for damages being brought by Sarfraz
Najeib, who was left in a coma when he was attacked by five white men in Leeds city
centre.

---------------------------------
[5] Fergie planning clear out?
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2002 by tb:
As the Observer quote Fergies' friends:

'He will up the ante, he will build another team, just as he's done throughout his
tenure,' says a source close to Ferguson. 'He's had quite big clearouts before and he
will do it again this summer.'

And another:

'Deep down, Alex knows United probably won't win the Champions League this year, not
with this defence. But next year, with a different team, is another opportunity.'

---------------------------------
[4] Rumours inc
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2002 by tb:
The Observer (and their exclusive tag is rather blemished in that the Express also
have it on their back page)claim that Fergie will try and lure Steve McClaren back to
OT after the World Cup. They also claim that Steve will listen to the offer.

A Boro source (hope he was sat down without a fag at the time) says:

'If United asked Steve to go back he would find that a very, very difficult one to
answer. He would certainly have to think long and hard about it.'

Just imagine how low our allocation would be if that comes off. That is of course, if
Boro stay up

---------------------------------
[3] Head to head with the Addicks at the Valley
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2002 by tb:
>From Sky:

Played 22
Charlton Wins 7
Manchester Utd Wins 9
Drawn 6

Charlton's last win at home to Man Utd was 2-0 in November 1989 at Selhurst Park.

Charlton's last win v Man Utd (then managed by Sir Matt Busby) at The Valley was 3-0
in the old Division 1 in December 1955. (only played twice at The Valley since then).

Man United's last win at The Valley was 1-0 in January 1999. Dwight Yorke scored the
89th minute winner.

Charlton have won 2 of the last 4 v Man United, drawing 1 and losing the other.

Charlton have kept 3 clean sheets in their last 6 matches v Man United.

---------------------------------
[2] Possible team line ups
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2002 by tb:
Charlton (from): Kiely, Kishishev, Young, Fish, Costa, Fortune, Powell, Brown, Stuart,
Parker, Kinsella, Robinson, Bart-Williams, Konchesky, Euell, Johansson, Svensson,
Lisbie, Ilic.

Manchester United (from): Barthez, P Neville, Blanc, G Neville, Silvestre, Beckham,
Keane, Scholes, Giggs, Solskjaer, van Nistelrooy, Butt, Veron, Irwin, Forlan, O'Shea,
Carroll.

---------------------------------
[1] You don't say
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2002 by tb:
Figo on his Utd transfer rumours:

"It is nonsense and I do not have to clarify anything."

---------------------------------
[19] Fergie in Arnie mode
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
As the MEN reckon 'he'll be back' for Kevin Hofland in the summer. It'll cost Cuddly
Pete £10 million according to the MEN

---------------------------------
[18] Ruud on Fergie staying
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
'I think it's very pleasing.'

'I thought I was only going to work with him for one year but now it's going to be
more than that and that's great for me.'

---------------------------------
[17] Eriksson: Gimme five
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
As Gary and Phil Nev, Becks, Scholesy and Nicky are set to be named in the Ingerlund
squad to face the Dutch on Wednesday

---------------------------------
[16] Gary Nev: Every single one of us
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
"I am indebted to him because he was the one who gave me my chance and I am not sure a
lot of managers would have done that.

"He paved the way for us to come through, so in terms of impact, the reason I am
playing football for United, is the boss."

"I think it's great news for everybody. All the fans, the players and everybody
associated with the club will be happy.
"Certainly the players are happy because you don't want to change something that is
not broken, and we have had plenty of success over the last nine or ten years.

"A lot of it has been down to the boss and the fact that we have been able to keep the
same manager. That is why I think everybody is delighted he is staying."

---------------------------------
[15] Becks: This title would be the sweetest
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
"If we do win it this year it will be the sweetest one because we did take a lot of
stick before Christmas.
"But you take the rough with the smooth. We have been through it and hopefully we can
now keep on until the end of the season."

"I prefer 13-point leads but it's more exciting for the fans all over the country and
watching all over the world," he added. "They want one or two points in it and to see
it go down to the wire."

---------------------------------
[14] Boavista away briefs
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2002 by tb:
We are to receive an allocation of 2,500 match tickets at an equivalent
price of £24 each for our away game versus Boavista to be played on Tuesday
19 March. These are being offered to all club members who either wish to
make their own travel arrangements or who wish to travel on one of the
club's travel packages.

In respect of match ticket only applications we are pleased to advise that
we have been able to meet all the requests we have received before the
deadline and documentation will be forwarded in due course advising when
the tickets will be available for collection. If, however, you have
requested that the tickets be posted and you have supplied a special
delivery envelope, they will be sent out as soon as we receive them.

Likewise, any member who has applied for club travel is also successful and
will receive the relevant documentation in due course.

A very limited number of places on the club's 2 day VIP trip and day trip,
both flying out of Manchester, are now available to club members on a first
come first served basis. For further information on club travel, please
telephone the office on 0161 868 8462 during normal office hours whilst
information regarding match ticket only applications can be obtained by
telephoning either 0161 868 8455 or 0161 868 8467 again during normal
office hours.

Incidentally, due to lack of interest, the club will not be organising
coach travel for this game

For information regarding ticket availability for the home games in the
competition can be obtained by telephoning the 24 hour Ticket & Match
Information Line on 0870 757 1968.