RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[23] Wilf happy
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Wilf McGuinness:

"Fergie's decision was a big surprise but also a pleasant one for everyone associated
with Manchester United. We are all thrilled by the news.  The talk of his successor is
over for now and we don't have to worry about that for a few years. The men who could
have done the job are not available at the moment anyway, but they may be in time.
Maybe Fergie's announcement came too early and it could have unsettled the players and
now I think we can look ahead to the future and the years to come. The continuity is
there for the next few years and that is a blow to the rest of the Premiership."

---------------------------------
[22] First Fergie replacement talk - the sequel - begins
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the MEN

'MARTIN O’Neill has been earmarked to take over at Old Trafford in 15 months time,
according to a report in today’s (Thursday) national press.

The article in the Daily Express claims that although Ferguson is set to sign a new
three-year deal, he will actually only stay on for a further 15 months, paving the way
for O’Neill to take charge when his Celtic contract expires next summer.

And the report suggests that Ferguson will then move upstairs into a position similar
to that held by Franz Beckenbauer at Bayern Munich as the club’s president.

The scheme has been devised, apparently, to put a stop to the sort of uncertainty that
has surrounded Old Trafford this season as the club has looked for a successor to Sir
Alex.

And it is also suggested that Ferguson will provide stability for the club while his
racing associates J.P McManus, John Magnier and Celtic chairman Dermot Desmond look
into the prospect of investing heavily in United.'

---------------------------------
[23] Youth Cup report by Old Fart
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by redend:
Red News's "Old Fart" provides an in depth report on last night's Youth Cup match v
Hartlepool.

The rarest programme in my collection is the first FA Youth Cup programme  from 1952.
The programmes was my dad's and what that means is that he has  been watching Youth
matches for fifty years now. He came with me tonight  and witnessed another cracking
game, proving why he has rarely missed one  of these games in the fifty years.

It was a typical Youth Cup match, played at a good pace, with total  commitment and,
above all, honesty. Most of these games are refreshing in  their naivete and that has
to be a good thing. Professionalism can come  later, what we want to see is plain and
simple endeavour. We saw it in  abundance at Old Trafford this evening.

At half time I said to my dad - well I said "Isn't it bloody cold" to be  completely
honest with you - and it was, bloody cold. But I also said to  him "This is going to
be one of those games where we make all the running,  miss loads of chances and see
the opposition win the game with their only  real shot on goal". Other than the first
few minutes we had totally  dominated the first half, created a bag full of chances
and failed to  convert any of them due to poor finishing, excellent goalkeeping and
simple  bad luck.

Two minutes after the restart a defensive cock-up saw their lad break free  to slot in
an excellent shot which gave the goalie no chance. "Bugger me" I  said "I should have
kept me mouth shut"! They had the next ten minutes as  the Hartlepool supporters
roared them on. I must make mention of the  Hartlepool supporters for there were
hundreds of them. Fair play to them to  come that distance on a cold night - they must
have felt a bit hard done  too going home with nowt. That said they trotted out all
the no-mark, ABU  sad songs and thus, perhaps, deserved what they got. Sod all.

We regained our composure and started to pass the ball to each other rather  than
lashing the sodding thing forward like headless, bloody chickens. The  skipper, Fox,
although having only a 'steady' game, was constantly  encouraging the other lads and
that was good to see. Slowly we built up a  head of steam which saw us win several
corner kicks and one of them  resulted in a 'slutchy' goal after a goal area scramble.
Heath, I think it  was, who finally toe-poked the ball over the line.

>From that moment on we were really composed, playing good controlled  pass-and-move
>football. Another pile of chances went begging until a  hit-and-hope cross to the far
>post was half cleared by their defender, ran  beyond the far post to a point where it
>looked like our lad would do well  just top square the ball back, but he smashed in a
>fantastic shot across  the goal and into the far corner. "Their arse will drop off
>now" I said  (foolishly) to my dad. I really ought to know better after all these
>years!   From the kick-off they booted the ball downfield. Our goalie was
>comfortable, he passed out to the left flank, our man squared a comfortable  ball to
>the centre-half and he made a complete rick of it. When he should  have put his
>sodding foot through the ball (as Buchan would have done) he  tried to dribble past
>their on-rushing forward, was tackled, lost the ball  and we saw their lad go
>one-on-one, draw the goalie and level the scores.  Damn. I was, as we don't really!
 say in Manchester "right cross".

We didn't let our heads go down though and that was good. We kept plugging  away
looking for the opening. They, on the other hand, had the look of a  side who felt
their best chance was now a penalty shoot-out. Several times  they were guilty of
blatant time wasting. I took heart from that, to be honest.

Into extra time and the same story. Them lashing the ball, ale-house style,  whenever
they were in possession. Us building slowly and carefully from the  back, but without
really threatening to score. Their goalie was excellent  tonight and my heart really
did ache for him when our lad closed him down  very, very quickly after a back pass
and the goalie's clearance hit our lad  and went into the goal. Whilst I was thrilled
that we had scored, what  eventually proved to be the winner, I was sad for their
goalie - he really  didn't deserve that.

Final whistle, we're through and the young supporters are singing "3-2 in  your cup
final" to the Hartlepool supporters. They had faces like slapped  arses and had they
not been no-marks I might have felt sorry for them. But  I didn't.

Man of the match - Darren Fletcher. Everything he did was top-drawer. He  tired in the
second period of extra time but the lad had run his socks off  and had an excuse to be
knackered.

---------------------------------
[22] Old Fart Player Ratings
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by redend:

Red News's "Old Fart" runs his expert eye over the players invovled in last night's
Youth Cup match v Hartlepool.

The team:

1. James Jowsey - had no chance with either of their goals. Handling fine.  Shouted
quite clearly when he was going for crosses and both caught and  punched with
confidence. Had a good game.

2. Lee Sims - didn't notice that much of this lad. Was paired on the right  flank with
an alien and perhaps suffered a bit from that. Don't remember  him doing anything bad
though

3. Lee Lawrence - had a really great game. Confident at the back. Great  feet and good
pace. Combined really well with Richardson and everything  good came down that flank
tonight. I really liked the look of this kid.  Some of his runs showed both ability
and vision. A couple of times his  final ball wasn't brilliant - but he is still a
boy. Had a great game as I  said.

4. David Fox - skipper. Looks and plays like a scale model of Ronnie  Wallwork and
thus I like him. Anybody who plays with the commitment of  Wallwork will do for me.
Not the most skillful player on the pitch, but  constantly moving, constantly trying,
constantly looking for the  ball/supporting teammates. I like that. Also he was
forever geeing up the  other lads. Good game.

5. Philip Bardsley - can't remember much about this lad at all. Had a  reas0onable
game I guess. Both of their goals came from errors in the  centre of the the defence
so he must have been culpable, at least in part.  Must look more closely at him next
time

6. Kris Taylor - I thought he had a poor game. He looked ponderous in  possession and
was definitely guilty of 'gifting' them their second goal.  That said he hit a couple
of really excellent long passes - right-half to  outside left. I will wait and see how
he progresses. Was not impressed  tonight though, not impressed at all.

7. Kalam Mooniaruck - with a name like that he must be an alien and has no  hope of
making it to the big time. There really would be "only one Kalam  Mooniaruck" wouldn't
there! Had a stinker as far as I'm concerned. Kept  taking his full back on and losing
the sodding ball. Could tolerate the  first five failures but after that was thinking
that he ought to be looking  to lay off rather than lose possession. Nothing cam from
his flank. Poor  game for me.

8.Darren Fletcher - much has been said about his lad since he hit the  headlines a
couple of years ago. He is a tall lad with quick feet and a  good range of passing.
Last night he was the link man in everything  constructive we did. He was constantly
showing for the ball and bringing  others into the game. My man of the match.

9. Colin Heath - I've seen this lad in the Academy games recently and he  looks
useful. He is a good finisher who works unselfishly. He was a bit  unlucky last night
and on another occasion could easily have got a hat  trick. Kept going to the end

10. Chris Humphreys - I thought he had a very poor game. Most of what he  did came to
nothing. He tried to beat that extra man rather than lay off or  play the one-two
several times and that exasperated me. Disappointing  performance as far as I'm
concerned

11. Kieran Richardson - scored the second goal and deserved it. He never  stopped
trying all night. Came deep and linked well with Lawrence. Whilst a  lot of what he
did lacked a result he never was constantly looking for the  ball and running.
Impressed me.

Subs used:

12 John Cogger - what a great name. Sounds like a proper footballer to me.  Came on at
right back and had a fantastic game. Made some great tackles and  surging runs.
Thought he looked a real prospect. With a name like that I  really hope he makes it!

16 - David Poole - has tremendous pace which he used to effect on many  occasions. It
was he who scored the winning goal and he deserved it for his  effort. Never stopped
chasing when he came on, though it must be remembered  that many players were tiring
at that time. But I liked what I saw of this lad.

---------------------------------
[21] Di Canio doesn't want new West Ham deal
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I don't want another contract. I have the next three months plus one year and then,
for family reasons, I want to go back to Italy"

---------------------------------
[20] Here's how it will work apparently
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Fergie signs 3 year deal.

Keane to follow suit in Spring

Becks deal - working out at somewhere, with image rights, at £110,000 a week - signed
just before World Cup

---------------------------------
[19] Says it all really
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Gary

'Bugger all in the Sun again - must be because there's nothing but good news coming
out of Old Trafford at the moment eh?'

---------------------------------
[18] Johnsen on comeback tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Ronny Johnsen plays against Leeds reserves tonight.

---------------------------------
[17] Preston - Utd stay away from Moyes
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Preston North End's acting chairman Derek Shaw on rumours linking us with David Moyes
was linked with a move to Old Trafford.

"David was linked with a move to Manchester United after Brian Kidd left the club and
before Steve McClaren joined them. Now once again he's being linked with the job. But
we have had no approach from Manchester United - and nor would we welcome one.  David
is our manager, and we would like it to remain that way. He committed himself to
Preston long term in the summer, and we hope that the contract will be honoured from
both sides. He's with us until the summer of 2005.  It's something we could do
without, and the reports are very unsettling - especially because this is a busy and
important time for us.  But that is the world we live in, I suppose."

---------------------------------
[16] United to relay pitch today
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Looked a bog last night

>From Ananova

'       Manchester United are relaying their Old Trafford pitch for the seventh time
in five years.

Digging began on Thursday and and a new pitch will be relaid in time for the
Premiership match against Aston Villa on February 23.

United waited until they had time to carry out the work after noticing deterioration
to the pitch which was laid two years ago.

They are having problems because of the lack of sunlight inside the stadium since Old
Trafford's capacity was increased to 67,500.

The previous six pitches have failed to grow well enough to endure a full season, and
the club feel it could be a regular feature for the future with a new surface being
put down every two years.

Other clubs have had similar problems. Newcastle relaid their pitch this season and
Liverpool last year - but that is nothing compared with Dutch club Ajax who have had
26 new surfaces in recent years.

The Dutch club replace their pitch around five times a season.'

---------------------------------
[15] Joke of  the day
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
St Peter is standing at the Pearly gates when 40 scousers turn up at once.

St Peter does not know what to do so he goes and finds God.

"Let in the 10 most righteous" says God, so Peter goes off to find them.

10 Minutes later St Peter rushes up to God in a right state and says:

"They've Gone!"

"What all 40?" asks God

"No!" says Peter "the fu**ing gates."

---------------------------------
[14] Fabien partying again
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the Mirror

'FABIEN Barthez has been hit with a £40,000 fine - a week's wages - for angering
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson with his London nightclub antics.

And the French goalkeeper has clearly not learned his lesson after being spotted out
on the town again within days of his hefty fine.

Barthez first fell foul of his manager when Mirror Sport revealed he had been up until
3.30am last Thursday morning in nightspot China White before dashing back to training
overnight.

Ferguson was upset by the publicity and Barthez's playboy behaviour, so he carpeted
him and hit the World Cup and Euro 2000 winner with a tough penalty. Barthez did not
break the club rule, which stops players going out 48 hours before a game, but it was
too close for comfort for Ferguson.

And the manager will be amazed to discover Barthez was at it again yesterday, risking
more damage to his wallet.

Ferguson is particularly furious with Barthez because he has been lenient with him all
season, letting him go home to France on several occasions.

Barthez has now taken advantage of Ferguson's goodwill and that made the manager snap,
especially as he has to be seen to be fair to all of his players.

Ferguson has fined and even frozen out Dwight Yorke at times for his late-night revels.

However, in this instance the United manager has stopped short of the maximum two-week
penalty allowed - because Barthez's case was a grey area.'

---------------------------------
[13] Red Perspective
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Just wondered if you had seen the Liverpool official site is running a tribute on
Munich.  Lots of 'history' between the 2 clubs but worthy of a mention, surely?

Paul

---------------------------------
[12] Red Perspective
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
I was watching Eurosport last night and the lad Mexes really caught the eye playing
for Auxerre against Lens (I think). Cascarino was commentating and he didn't stop
going on about him for the enitire match. He did mention that United had a bid turned
down but watching Mexes play I think we could do a lot worse than going in again with
a higher bid. Hes a big strong fella, good in the air and comfortable on the ball -
and he seemed cool as f@ck under pressure for a youngster. Just thought I'd give you
an update on his progress cos I haven't seen him mentioned in a while on the site.
Looks like a cracker.
Cheers CD

---------------------------------
[11] Irwin on Fergie decision
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
"It will give the club that bit more stability. The manager knows this team has got
great potential...fantastic news"

---------------------------------
[10] Fergie to get money to bolster at the back
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
So why didn't the PLC go that extra hog last summer and bag Thuram?

>From the Mirror

' SIR ALEX FERGUSON will be handed £30million to strengthen the Manchester United
defence after agreeing to stay on as boss.

Ferguson, who will remain in charge for the next three years, has been assured by the
United board that no expense will be spared in his bid to bring the European Cup back
to the club.

The United manager is planning a radical overhaul of his squad in the summer and has
already identified a host of defenders he wants to sign up.

With Laurent Blanc and Denis Irwin retiring at the end of the season, and Juan
Sebastian Veron expected to return to Italy, Ferguson is aware he will have to spend
to strengthen his side.

United's defensive record this season is their worst for a decade and Ferguson knows
he has little chance of reclaiming Europe's top prize with his current back line.

Top of his list is PSV Eindhoven's £15million-rated Holland defender Kevin Hofland.

United made inquiries about him earlier in the season but were told he would not be
available until the end of the campaign.

Valencia defender Roberto Ayala is another Fergie favourite, and the Argentine's agent
has claimed he will be the next new face at Old Trafford.

Another target is Lazio's Allesandro Nesta, although the Italian is not yet sure about
a move to the Premiership.'

---------------------------------
[9] Keane to partner Fergie?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the Mail

'Roy Keane will be invited to join the Old Trafford coaching staff in the wake  of Sir
Alex Ferguson's decision to continue as manager. '

---------------------------------
[8] Stam ban extended
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Jaap\s 4 month ban from UEFA has been supported by FIFA

---------------------------------
[7] El Tel on Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
"The older you become the better you are at the job. Managers are being appreciated as
the most valuable asset at a club with the realisation that with age comes experience
- and with that comes a greater chance of success. If a club plans to be in the top
three then they can only achieve that with a quality manager. He is the professional
who'll produce the extra and if an older man WANTS to go on in the job and he has his
health then he will do it better."

---------------------------------
[6] Barthez fined
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
from the Sun

' FABIEN BARTHEZ has been hit with a £40,000 fine for his late night out in London a
week ago.

The Manchester United goalkeeper must cough up a week's wages after being spotted in
China Whites bar until 3.30am on Thursday.

Barthez shot back to Manchester for training later that morning, and had not actually
broken the club's curfew, banning them from a night out 48 hours before a game.

But boss Sir Alex Ferguson was furious at his French star and had a showdown with him
on Friday.

Barthez, however, avoided a fine of a fortnight's wages as it was not a 'maximum
offence.'...

And the United chief felt the time had come to bring Barthez into line as well,
although there is no suggestion their relationship is on the line.'

---------------------------------
[5] United youngsters through
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Beating Hartlepool 3-2 after extra time, in a tough encounter. The opposition started
by taking photos of themselves on the Old Trafford pitch before the game but gave as
good as they got for much of the game. Keiron Richardson of United continues to
impress - a real touch of Giggsy to him.

We play Barnsley or Wycombe at home in the Qtr Final.

---------------------------------
[4] Help required
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Posted on the IMUSA list

Scott Martin is a top Red who's working on a film being made for TV, it's a social
history on football hooligans for C4. He recently did us proud w/ the CH4 Documentary
"Seven days that shook United". He needs to speak to reds who followed United in
during the red army years in the 70's and were either involved in or witnessed any
disorder at  matches during this time. Just wondered if any lads who might fit the
bill that he could chat to over the phone or meet up with Scott in Manchester ? If
there is anyone who wants any more details on it give Scott a ring,on 0161 832 7211
ext 3397.

---------------------------------
[3] Celebrate him staying on
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Blatant plug alert

blatant plug alert

Rememer we still have copies left of out high quality

CHE GOVANOR t-shirt, celebrating the Wizard

check

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop11.htm http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop11.htm

---------------------------------
[2] European results
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
St Pauli (bottom of the Bundesliga before kick off) 2
Bayern Munich 1.
Bayern now in 5th - 9 points off the lead

Metz (2nd from bottom) 2 Nantes 0

Real Valladolid 2 The Mighty Real Madrid All Stars 1
(2nd defeat in 4 days)

---------------------------------
[1] Red View
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Letter to Red News

'I fully agree with the RN comments re Veron and I have aired my views  in the
Manchester Evening News in the last 3 days. He must make up  his mind. At United the
best players have always been very keen to put on the United shirt. I just can't
understand the guy, he seems to speak in riddles but if he is not happy at United I do
not think anyone should stop him from going back to his beloved Lazio.
Peter

---------------------------------
[39] The Flowers of Manchester
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, February 6, 2002 by redend:
Thanks to Red News's "Assassin" for this picture:

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from plain
text email version of news

---------------------------------
[38] 2+2
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, February 6, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the Fiver

'Up in the spotlight today are Lazio, former Italian champions and close personal
friends of Juan Sebastian Veron. After a long succession of interviews proclaiming
love for his old flame, it looks like Veron's feelings have been reciprocated and
Lazio will buy back the midfield man this summer. Indeed some reports are suggesting
negotiations are underway this very moment. With the club struggling in the league and
the fans disgruntled, it's seen as an ideal way to soothe tempers. But to find the
requisite Euro to pull the deal off, Lazio may well have to sell club captain and
local hero Alessandro Nesta. Which makes a lot of sense.  "It would be wrong for me to
say that I will never leave, because if I do I will look like a hypocrite," explained
one of the world's best centre-halves today. But the number of clubs who could afford
the Italian international aren't exactly in the zillions. So who might have the odd
£25m in their pocket this summer, say from the sale of an under-!
performing Argentine? The Fiver, pending a call from Lord Wakeham, doesn't have a
clue. '

---------------------------------
[37] Red News can reveal
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, February 6, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From our agent "Red Squirrel" that apparently Fergie made the decision that he wanted
>to stay about three weeks ago.

---------------------------------
[36] Say it isn't so Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, February 6, 2002 by bar-knee:
Spotted by From NetAddicks;

'Ged Searson takes up the story:
In the 1998/99 season I twice travelled to Eindhoven to watch Bobby Robson train the
first team at PSV. I am a full time football coach - youth, college, and non-league
teams. As a guest of Bobby Robson, I spent a bit of time in the club canteen talking
to their new signing Ruud Van Nistelrooy who was starting to make a name for himself.
When he heard I was from England, he wanted to know as much about English football as
possible, asking about the clubs and the supporters and so on. When I asked him did he
follow any English clubs, he told me Charlton Athletic. He was very serious, telling
me that he had friends who lived in South London, and their local club was Charlton.
He told me all the information about your play-off win the previous season, including
Clive's hat-trick, and said he was very disappointed as his old club 'Heerenveen'
refused him time off to go to the match against Sunderland at Wembley. So if you see a
certain Man Utd player looking around The Valley in a!
we at 2pm on Sunday you know why. Just go easy on us eh Ruud, after all you are one of
us. Thanks go to Ged Searson for bringing this story to our attention.'

"Looking round the Valley in awe??" All together now "We've got one stand bigger than
your ground"