RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[17] At last some good news
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2002 by tb:
Rihard Littledick is leaving 606.

Now if we could just prevent the muppets ringing up wanting Fergie's/Sabre's/the
defence's  head on a plate, the world will be a much nicer place.

---------------------------------
[16] Keano: We've let everybody down
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2002 by tb:
"I am more disappointed for the manager, the staff and the fans because I think they
deserve better than that.

“It was probably not the standard we expected of ourselves over the two games. If we
had gone in at half-time 1-0 up we’d have been pretty confident. But scoring just
before half-time gave them a lift.

“I thought we had control of the match at that point and they cleared one or two off
the line.

---------------------------------
[15] Turk sentenced to 15 years
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2002 by tb:
>From Ananova:

A Turkish court has sentenced a man to 15 years in prison for stabbing two Leeds
United fans to death before a match in Istanbul two years ago.

Judge Iskender Tepebasi sentenced the main suspect in the case, Ali Umit Demir, for
stabbing Christopher Loftus and Kevin Speight in April 2000.

---------------------------------
[14] Becks back in training next week?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2002 by tb:
>From TeamTalk:

David Beckham could be back in training next week - less than four weeks after
breaking a bone in his foot against Deportivo La Coruna.
The England skipper is making rapid progress in his recovery from a fractured
metatarsal bone in his left foot and is expected to be running again within a few
days.
Earlier this week Beckham's father, Ted, revealed the midfielder would "definitely" be
fit for this summer's World Cup finals after undergoing intensive treatment.
Beckham is hoping to emulate the recovery of Ryan Giggs, who recovered from the same
injury in just 31 days in 1998.

---------------------------------
[13] 123 arrests
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2002 by tb:
>From Ananova:

German police arrested 123 Manchester United fans after fighting broke out following
their Champions League semi-final in Leverkusen.

Police say the night was marred by numerous outbreaks of violence in Leverkusen and
the old town area of nearby Cologne.

The biggest involved 150 Leverkusen fans and the same number of United supporters.
They hurled bottles, bricks and bar chairs at each other and were separated by
officers using baton charges and police dogs.

Several people were treated for minor injuries at Cologne hospitals but later
discharged.

None of the detained fans have been charged. All were interviewed and photographed
before being escorted in police buses to trains heading for Belgian ferry ports.

A total of 128 people were detained, 123 of them British. Their details will be
forwarded to anti-hooligan officers in the UK.

The centre of Cologne was crammed with revellers celebrating at a festival called the
May Dance. They fled when United fans ran in groups through the narrow alleyways and
squares.

Police Commissioner Helmut Langewald said: "Most of the action took place near the
bars and especially around the Irish Pubs where the British had gathered. It began as
verbal abuse but escalated into physical violence shortly after. It took about an hour
to regain control.

"The decision was taken to get them out of Cologne as quickly as possible. They were
carted in convoys of police buses to the train station and put on trains to Belgium
en-route to the Channel Tunnel or ferry ports."

A police spokesman said the job was made easier because they had experience of dealing
with Liverpool fans, who clashed with Leverkusen supporters after losing their
quarter-final a fortnight ago. But he added last night's trouble was "much bigger"
than with Liverpool.

---------------------------------
[12] The bitterest pill
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2002 by tb:
Best check that your hangover cures are not made by Bayer!

---------------------------------
[11] Keano sums it up
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2002 by tb:
"We certainly tried, but that's our job. This club deserves to be in European Cup
finals but the players know that we blew it - it is as simple as that.

"These chances don't come along very often and hopefully we can make up for it.

"I thought their heads dropped a little bit when we scored but they got their goal
just on half-time and we couldn't get that killer goal."

"It's a disaster,"

---------------------------------
[10] Becks loses out to Zidane
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2002 by tb:
>From TeamTalk

David Beckham has been named as the second highest-earning footballer in the world
behind Real Madrid's France international Zinedine Zidane.

The Reds midfielder pulls in a cool £6.6million a year based on wages, bonuses,
endorsements and advertising - £2.1million behind Zidane, who nets £8.7million.

Other United heroes making the top 20 of the game's top earners are 14th-placed Roy
Keane (£4.3million) and 18th-placed Juan Sebastian Veron (£3.5million).

Arsenal defender Sol Campbell came 10th in the France Football poll on £5.4million,
with his Highbury team-mate Thierry Henry (£3.7million) in 16th spot. Liverpool and
England star Michael Owen came 12th on £4.8million.

Italy's Serie A - which boasts the likes of Ronaldo and Andrei Shevchenko - has nine
players in the list, while Spain's La Liga has five representatives, including Steve
McManaman, Rivaldo and Luis Figo.

---------------------------------
[9] Ronny hopeful about a deal
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2002 by tb:
"There haven't been concrete negotiations yet, but something will happen."

"It does not matter who takes the initiative, I am having a good time at the club and
will just have to wait and see."

---------------------------------
[8] Toppmoller an Oasis fan
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2002 by tb:
"This is a dream come true. This is a time for cigarettes and drinkand then tomorrow I
will go and see Real Madrid play Barcelona."

---------------------------------
[7] Fergie puts it in perspective
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2002 by tb:
"I don't think there is much wrong with this side at all. It's just that things didn't
go our way when we needed them to. Leverkusen played better at Old Trafford, but I
felt we deserved to win here because we played better than them."

---------------------------------
[6] Toppmoller on result
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2002 by tb:
'We are delighted to reach the final and to have beaten such a great side as
Manchester United to get there."

And I never realised he was such a fan of David Pleat!

---------------------------------
[5] Fergie on Keano
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2002 by tb:
We all hoped Roy would get to the final after what he had done for this club. All the
players had contributed to a fantastic campaign but I know Roy would love to have made
the final."

"I just wish I had 10 Roy Keanes. He was marvellous and scoring the goal was a great
moment for him.

"I'm sad for him as he put everything into the game, like most of our players."

---------------------------------
[4] Fergie on campaign
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2002 by tb:
"The disappointment is shared by everyone in the dressing-room. A semi-final defeat is
the worst of all because you're so close to the final.

"But we are still the best team in England and up there with the best in Europe. We've
scored more goals than anyone in England and we've been the best team since Christmas.

"I still think we have had a good campaign in Europe. We have lost just two games in
16 and played some excellent stuff.

---------------------------------
[3] Fergie on equaliser
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2002 by tb:
"That was the decisive moment. We were in control of the game and we lost a goal.

"They went into the break bouncing and came out again showing great confidence having
equalised.

"If we had gone in at half-time 1-0 ahead, we would have won.

"I felt we deserved to win here as we created a lot of chances. But conceding that
goal before half-time was a terrible blow."

---------------------------------
[2] Fergie: Fine line
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2002 by tb:
"There is nothing you can say to the players in a situation like this. We came within
a whisker of winning. In any game you need a bit of luck and we had four chances
cleared off the line. Understandably, there is a lot of disappointment."

---------------------------------
[1] Time for perspective
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2002 by tb:
Yes it hurts, but if you can, cast your minds back 10 years (and boy did that hurt
too), and then think how far we've come since.

The only thing that won't have changed is the amount of 'advice' Fergie will get off
the seagulls.

Time to baten down the hatches.

We'll never die

P.S If the Arse think we've given up on the title, they are in for a shock.

---------------------------------
[45] Virgin on the ridiculous!
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
>From Ananova:

Fans of David Beckham are being asked to send him email birthday greetings in an
attempt to break a world record.

If Beckham receives more than 2,600 e-cards on May 2 he will reportedly break the
record for the most online birthday greetings ever received.

The current record is reportedly held by his wife Victoria from her 26th birthday in
April 2000.

Fans can send Beckham a card to celebrate his 27th birthday, by logging on to
www.virgin.net/beckham from midnight on May 2.

Greeting cards will then be sent via a special message centre.

Virgin.net are planning to deliver the virtual birthday cards to Beckham, as he rests
his broken foot.

A spokesman for the website said: "David Beckham is Britain's best and most famous
footballer, and in this World Cup year, Virgin.net wanted to mark the occasion of his
birthday in record-breaking style.

"He is one of the most searched for football players on the website and we're giving
footie-mad surfers the chance to wish one of their biggest heroes a happy birthday.

"With Beckham's world-wide fan base, we expect to blow the previous record out of the
water."

---------------------------------
[44] Ah So
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
>From Ananova:

A Japanese web page is pleading with David Beckham fans to fold paper cranes to aid
the rapid recovery of England's injured skipper.

And so far, the Osaka Supporters' Club - where England play Nigeria on June 12 -
hasn't been disappointed.

More than 6,000 of the birds - all in the English red and white colours - have flooded
the club's headquarters. They have been mailed in by well-wishers tapping a Japanese
tradition that says folding 1,000 will make a wish come true.

"Let's send 1,000 paper cranes to Beckham!" the group's Internet page says.

Beckham broke a bone in his foot in Manchester United's Champions Cup quarterfinal and
has been undergoing intensive treatment. The England captain is determined to play at
the World Cup starting May 31.

Kyodo said the cranes will be sent to the England Soccer Association this week through
the British Embassy in Tokyo.

"We have a terrible image of England because of the hooligans," said club chairman
Koichi Takeuchi. "But Osaka welcomes England. We hope Beckham recovers and shows us
his best play."

---------------------------------
[43] If the Jacquet fits
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
French coach reckon it's a Utd V Real final:

"I believe Real Madrid and Manchester United will meet on May 15 in Glasgow. I think
the Madrid side players already have Glasgow plane tickets in their pockets. Their 2-0
success in Catalonia cleared their way to the final. Besides they possess such a great
player as Zidane.Certain people will accuse me of chauvinisme, as Fabien Barthez,
Laurent Blanc and Mikael Silvestre play for Manchester United. In any case, I believe
that despite their 2-2 draw at Old Trafford, the Premier League team remain favourites
to reach the last two"

---------------------------------
[42] We'll see about that
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
As the gooners were singing "We'll win the league in Manchester." after last night's
love in with the yoners.

Blow up trophies have also been spotted.

A phrase of the Maine Road Messiah springs to mind!

---------------------------------
[41] Wallwork off to the mackems
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
Apparently monkey's heed is in pole position to sign Ronnie on a Bosman in the summer.
Others interested include the Baggies and Rangers

---------------------------------
[40] Brian says Giggsy is the man
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
More from Greenhoff junior

"He took a lot of stick at the start of the European campaign over his 4-5-1 formation
but all of a sudden he's put Ryan Giggs in the hole where he was playing Paul Scholes
and it seems to have just changed it."

"Ryan is often a different threat instead of out wide, where at times you can set out
defensively to sort him out. But when he's roaming through the middle it's a different
proposition and it's one of the main reasons why this system works now."

---------------------------------
[39] Greenhoff!
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
Brian on tonight

"I don't think United will want to get involved in a very quick game to begin with.
They will hope to frustrate them and impose their passing game on them, especially now
Roy Keane is fit, which is a massive boost.

"They have only got to look back to the year that they won it when they had to go to
Juventus and win, and they went there and did it. Nobody expected them to do that,
they went 2-0 down but this team has got great resolve, they never know the word
'lose' and they always want to win."

---------------------------------
[38] Stick with Red News for all the big stories
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
This just in from a RN seller:

Just had a call from a mate of mine who is at Beckhams
house today laying a full size football pitch in his back garden. He asked for a
snooze at lunchtime in the Oxygen tent but got knocked back!

You can't pay for stories like that!

This email has been filtered for swear words which cause some email systems to block
messages.