RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[32] More Fergie on Bayer
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
"You don’t get top of the Bundesliga by accident. They are four points clear of Bayern
Munich and that shows the standard they are playing at the moment. I think they’ll win
the Bundesliga and it won’t be easy for us on Wednesday. It’s going to be a test. They
are an attacking side and they will certainly try to win the game at Old Trafford. If
you think about their performance against Liverpool at Anfield, for instance, where
they dominated the possession of the game and really had Liverpool defending the whole
match. It tells you the ambition of the side and their coach Klaus Toppmoeller who I
think has done a fantastic job for them. Like all good teams they have one or two very
good individual players in their side like Yildiray Basturk and Ze Roberto.

I wouldn’t have preferred Liverpool in the semi really. You go into the European Cup
hoping to get challenges like we are going to get on Wednesday. I was surprised about
Michael Ballack when looking at our notes on them to see he has 31 goals from
midfield, well, say no more! We have our work cut out but equally it is a game in
which we’ll score."

---------------------------------
[31] Fergie urges caution
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
 “A lot of people have got us in the final already but this is a difficult game
against a very good attacking team. I am not surprised to see Bayer Leverkusen in the
last four of the Champions League because they are a very, very good football team."

---------------------------------
[30] Succint John Terry
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Hones. They were taking the p*ss out of us."

---------------------------------
[29] The mystery of life at Stamford Bridge
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Claudio Ranieri

"We never found the solution to shoot at goal"

---------------------------------
[29] Barca and Real - the facts
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Some anoraky facts and figures on Barca and Real from a UEFA media bulletin

The clubs have won 120 pieces of silverware between them - Barca 57 and Real 63

Real won a record 28 Spanish Championships to Barca's 16

Real (10) and Barca (8) are the two most successful club sides in the history of
European football with, er, 18 trophies between them

Between them Barca and Real have played almost 700 European ties

Awarding 2 points for a win, only Real and Bayern Munich have a century of points with
Barca 4th on 79. Bayern 101, Real 100, United 98, Barca 79

Only Dynamo Kiev (4-0 in 97/8), Bayern (2-1 in 98/9) and AC Milan (2-0 in 00/1) have
beaten Barca in the CL and the Nou Camp

Prior to Tuesday's game Manchester United have played most CL games - 77 - with Bayern
next on 76 and Real on 74

However Real top the wins chart with 44, Bayern on 39 and United 38

Real (152), United (136), Barca (127), Bayern (115) and Juve (106) are the only CL
"centurions" of goals

Real and Barca have met on 190 first class occasions dating back to May 1902 but only
4 of those games have been in Europe

The first meeting was in the European Cup in April 1960 when Barcelona, without the
likes of Kubala and Czibor because of a wage dispute for the tie at the Bernabeu, lost
both games 3-1 with Puskas scoring 3 times and di Stefano twice. Real went on to beat
Eintracht 7-3 in the Hampden Park final

6 months later revenge was sweet. In the first round in Nov 1960 Barca became the
first side to knock Real out of the EC. In Madrid English referee Arthur Ellis awarded
Barca a late penalty which Luis Suarez converted to make it 2-2 - the first time Real
had not won a home EC tie. In the return leg Barca won 2-1 thanks to a flying header
by Evaristo.

Real have not won at the Nou Camp since 22.10.83 (2-1)

Do not expect a similar result to one in 1942/3 when the teams drew 5-5

---------------------------------
[28] More Bayer over confidence?
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Bayer's Croatian Jurica Vranjes

"We are lucky that Beckham is missing. Beckham is half their team. It is going to be
great game. We really want to beat United. They have a very good team, but it's hard
to replace Beckham. That is our chance to reach the final."

---------------------------------
[27] Quote of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Guardian match report

'In his 15 years at Old Trafford, Alex Ferguson can never have witnessed a Manchester
United side capitulating as abjectly as their opponents did on Saturday. In front of
their own fans, Chelsea ran up the white flag long before half-time, allowing a bunch
of genuine championship contenders to do more or less as they wished with the rest of
the afternoon. '

---------------------------------
[26] Chelsea were that bad
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Claudio Ranieri

"We ran more than all season, but without the ball. We would have lost to our academy
side."

---------------------------------
[25] Bayer coach on United
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Klaus Toppmoller

 "They have players of the highest class and can compensate for the loss of Beckham
and Keane. Solskjaer is a substitute but he came on and scored two goals. We feel no
pressure, we are having fun and everyone wants to play. The team have proved they
really want to win, despite Saturday's defeat and, as far as tactics go, they have
learnt a lot this season. They are ready to win titles now. We are not like Bayern
Munich, Borussia Dortmund or Manchester United in that we can choose from a squad or
22 or 23 each week. If we can win something maybe it will put a stop to the nonsense
that only a huge squad can bring success in the 21st century."

---------------------------------
[24] More from Chelsea boss
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Ranieri

"It was difficult before and after this result, it's very, very hard.  We didn't play
well, we didn't close or press. I think for them it was very easy to win today."

---------------------------------
[23] More Chelsea post match comments
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Fergie

"There's no one better at striking balls outside the box than Paul Scholes"

Claudio Ranieri

"We didn't play today"

---------------------------------
[32] Red Perspective on Micky Thomas - the Blue?
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Couldn't get a ticket for Chelsea so was confined to the lounge.
Turned on the TV and saw Mickey T on Soccer AM ( a programme I normally refuse to
watch with that Chelsea **** boy and Torquay t**t)..however as it was Mickey on I
thought let's listen.

The Chelsea **** boy clearly asked two different questions....who do you think will
win..to which Mickey rambled on about how important it was for Chelsea to get into
Champs league and that they have two great strikers up front and he felt they would
win.
The final question was WHO DO YOU WANT TO WIN...and it was as clear as that text...to
which he said Chelsea. Lovejoy nearly came and I nearly smashed the television.

I was very disappointed with Mickey as I often listen to him pre and post match on
Century.....now I think he should be sacked.

Coggie (the ever forgiveful) Red

---------------------------------
[21] Season ticket renewals
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Although payment date is June 1st, you should get your renewal letter this week, and
United have requested that although they will be banked on that date, all forms must
be returned by May 18th.

---------------------------------
[20] Bayer get giddy
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Klaus Toppmoller

"United's weak point is their defence and we are going to take advantage of that.
Everyone saw what we did to Liverpool and their defence is rated among the best in
Europe. If we can attack United like we did Liverpool, we are going to be in with a
big chance. Our confidence is high and, when you play with confidence, you can achieve
anything."

---------------------------------
[19] Sven's assistant on Swedish sex show
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Tord Grip

"This has nothing to do with the preparations for the World Cup. That is going on as
planned because it has to. f it had happened during the World Cup then it would be a
problem. But hopefully this will be over and forgotten when we are playing in Japan.
Me and Sven haven't talked about this, but I'm sure we will. A lot has been written,
the Press is free and it is how it works in England. We are getting used to this but I
feel so sorry for Sven. Soon we will have to pick our squad but it will not affect the
players. They are more used to this than we are.  I don't want to know about this
story. Sven has his private life and I have mine. Even if we are working close
together you have to keep certain things to yourself.  I don't think this will disturb
Sven. He probably thinks the media hasn't got anything to do with his private life."

---------------------------------
[18] More from Wenger
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Our target now is to win every game. Liverpool and United have to play Ipswich as
well and they can give a hard game to everyone. So long as we win, we don't have to
look to our opponents so much. But we have it all to do yet."

---------------------------------
[17] Fergie on Chelsea
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I was very pleased, because Chelsea are a top side. We have a good squad, which was
proved by the way players like Nicky Butt and Phil Neville performed. They have two of
the best strikers in the business and it was great we did not concede against them."

---------------------------------
[16] We were lucky on Saturday?!
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Boudewijn Zenden

 "We started so well and they weren't really in it. They were lucky because they got
the first goal and that can make all the difference. "

---------------------------------
[15] Ole on Wes
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I've been reading about the probables and the possibles for the World Cup and I have
no doubt Wes should go. I first saw him five or six years ago and he stood out from
the rest of the reserves. I'm not surprised at the way he has developed. Wes can
handle all the pressure. It isn't a problem for him. He just needs to keep on playing
the way he did against Chelsea."

---------------------------------
[14] Arsenal confident
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Ljungberg

 "We have told each other 'play one game at a time and do not think about other
teams'. It's much easier to concentrate yourself than worry about other people.
Hopefully we can have some success. We'll try for the title - it looks all right."

Wenger

 "The only plan we have is to win our next game, against West Ham. We have shown a lot
of mental strength and motivation and we will show that until the end of the season."

---------------------------------
[13] We're not, trust us
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Saint Michael

"I've learned to live with the national obsession about my fitness, you learn. But you
still get annoyed when someone says something stupid like, he's not playing well and
it's a cause for concern for the World Cup."

---------------------------------
[12] let us not forget this story
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
from yesterday, via Ananova

'David Beckham is sleeping in an oxygen tent to speed up his injury recovery time.

Beckham has left the marital bed he shares with his Posh Spice wife to sleep alone in
the sealed low-oxygen tent.

The device, known as a hypoxic tent, simulates the effect of high altitude to help
maintain his fitness while his injury heals.

The £6,000 tent comes complete with a generator that reduces the proportion of oxygen
in the air from the normal atmospheric 21 per cent to about 15 per cent - simulating
an altitude of up to 15,000 feet.

Victoria Beckham, four months pregnant, has been advised not to join him in the
tent-bed on medical advice,

The tent was supplied by edge4 a London based company whose owner Angela Lebaigue was
contacted by Manchester United the day after Beckham fractured a bone in his foot in a
Champions League match.

Ms Lebaigue told The Sunday Telegraph: "When David got injured I got a call from
Manchester United really early in the morning and I suggested that David should go in
the tent. They rang me back an hour later to say he was willing to try."

She went to the Beckham's home in Alderly Edge, Cheshire to supervise the setting up
of the tent on the floor next to their bed in the couple's penthouse pad.

Ms Lebaigue added: "Victoria wouldn't want to get in while she's pregnant."

Beckham is not the first high profile sportsman to use a hypoxic tent. Rally driver
Colin McRae has also used one to recover from injury following a crash.'

---------------------------------
[11] MUTV lost in translation
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Bit of bother on MUTV as ex Red Micky Thomas was apparently asked the question who
would win on Saturday before the game. Well that's what he thought he heard as the
question, some Reds thought it was who do you want to win. He said Chelsea and now
Reds ringing in have slated him for saying 'Chels' and Micky is backtracking saying he
didn't mean he wanted Chelsea to win, merely thought they would! Got it...

---------------------------------
[10] Reserves report
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Another exceptional match report from the Old Fart

Sometimes you don't realise how lucky you are.

At half time I (perhaps rudely) overheard the lad behind me say "Yes, I'm  in Old
Trafford", pause, "It's a reserve game and I only found out about it  this afternoon",
pause, "May, Wallwork and Chadwick are playing". I had  noticed during the first half
that this lad had been taking quite a few  photographs, though until the conversation
(on the phone by the way) I had  thought nothing of it. Anyway I turned and asked him
if he'd like his  photograph taking at the end of the game and he said he would. In
conversation after the picture he told us that "he'd waited thirty-seven  years to
visit Old Trafford". He'd been on the tour that afternoon and  heard about the reserve
match. He was thrilled to bits and I was thrilled  for him.

For very nearly fifty years (well, forty-eight the day before yesterday in  fact) me
and my dad have just been turning up at Old Trafford to watch the  boys - and that now
amounts to a lot of boys indeed!! Until things happen  like last night we never stop
to think just how fortunate we are and how  much, perhaps, we take for granted. In
that Manchester United means more to  my dad and myself than anything else (family
excepted) haven't we been
bloody lucky!

The game was a cracker. Allowing the boys to play at Old Trafford made all  the
difference. The playing surface is like a bowling green, whereas I've  played on
better park pitches than that now to be found at Gigg Lane.  Without wanting to be
unkind to Bury FC they really must sort that pitch  out because I'm now convinced that
we would have won the Reserve League had
we played all of our games on a decent (or even half-decent) surface. My  mate John
told me that Bury had got shut of their groundsman earlier in the  season and that the
chap now in charge is a young man lacking experience.  It bloody shows!! They MUST do
something about it.

We were very much on top for the first fifteen minutes but just couldn't  convert one
of the several chances we carved out. Chadwick was showing well  early doors and a
good run by him after six minutes led to a chance for  Nardiello. They then had a ten
minute spell and might have taken the lead  but for a couple of good saves by Williams.

On twenty-two it was Chadwick again providing, with a good run and pass to  Davis. The
little man flicked the ball on cleverly and it was just too far  for Nardiello to
reach. Three minutes later we did score. Arkwright did  well on halfway and played a
great through ball for Davis to run on to,  one-on-one with their goalie. Davis kept
his composure and shot low but the  goalie managed to block the shot. The ball went
out wide right and Chadwick  controlled and played the most delightful low cross into
the near post  where Wallwork scored with a diving header.

Just before the half May won a good tackle inside our half and played the  ball to
Chadwick. He had a good run before laying off to Davis and then  taking the return and
going into the box. Just as he was about to shoot a  good tackle robbed him and the
chance was gone. That was it for the first  half. We had, without doubt, shaded it and
deserved the one goal lead.

The second half saw them start very brightly and they got a deserved  equaliser after
eleven minutes. That said we could have been two up minutes  before when Rankin hit a
great ball from his own box out to Arkwright on  the left wing. The young man did well
down the flank but nobody read his  excellent cross.

Chadwick was again showing in midfield and was having a very good game. I  asked both
my dad and John if they thought he had put on a bit of weight  (and he needs to) and
they thought that, perhaps, he had. He featured in  our second goal. Wallwork,
dependable as ever, won a good tackle on half  way and fed Nardiello, inside right. He
made ground into the box before  turning and chipping the ball to Chadwick. Chadwick
in turn flicked on to  Davis and the little man turned and shot, Macari-like, to slot
the ball  home for 2-1. It was a really well worked goal and the crowd showed their
appreciation.

We dominated from that point on and Davis, Wallwork and Williams (M) might  have added
to the score. In the end it was the right score and, as I said  at the start, we had
seen an excellent game of football.

Team: Williams  (B), Roche, Rankin, Tierney, May (c), Wallwork, Chadwick,  Arkwright,
Nardiello, Davis, Richardson

Subs: Tate, Moran, Williams (M) for Nardiello, Wood for Richardson, Murihead

---------------------------------
[9] Beckham media coverage
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
This is the best comment I've read so far on the media coverage of the THE
metatarsel. James Corrigan in the Indie on Sunday:-

The BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Sky, Channel 5 (do they do the news?) all went big  on the
"exclusive interview" that MUTV had broadcast to its three viewers  earlier in the
evening. MUTV - which I always thought was the Muppets'  channel - is rapidly becoming
like that Arab station which releases all those  Bin Laden tapes to be shown across
the world. It won't be long before News at  Ten starts to muse on the date and
location of Beckham's interviews. "It was  definitely before the Deportivo match" an
expert will say "as Gucci didn't  stock that type of diamond earring until early
March. And by the look of  those Laura Ashley net curtains it was probably filmed from
his bunker in  Hertfordshire."

spotted by Sue

---------------------------------
[8] Massive miss
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Stuart Pearce missed a penalty in stoppage time for city, what would have been his
100th goal

"There is no better way to bow out, and in front of no better fans, than with a trophy
in my hands. The support has been magnificent. I am now certain that it will continue
to be onwards and upwards for this club. But yes, I'd like to apologise for that
penalty miss."

West Brom promoted, Millwall-Birmingham and Norwich-Wolves in the play offs.

---------------------------------
[7] Bayer update
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Saw highlights of their game yesterday. They lost at home 2-1 to Werder Bremen. Don't
want to under-estimate them, but they bottled it again. Their goalkeeper BUTT missed a
penalty, & let in one of the most unstoppable screamers I've seen for years. All in
all, they looked very beatable. I know it doesnt always pan out that way, but
increased my optinism for a day out on May 15th.

Big Kev

---------------------------------
[6] the game that never was
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From RN reader

Thought you might want to bring this item for sale on the Ebay auction site  to your
readers.

Some tight arse Everton fans, selling an actual ticket for the 1995 FA Cup  final
Replay, if it had been needed.  Are scouse fans really that tight!

 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1822572532
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1822572532

Cheers Mark

---------------------------------
[5] Tabloid gossip
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Quick snippets from Sunday's tabloids.

Lots on Sven's apparent affair with Ulrika-ka-ja, apparently they met up for one night
after our game with Bayern

Wes Brown's girlfriend is expecting their babyt

Watford want Danny Webber to sign for them after his loan spell ends. Vialli "we will
try to sort out something soon"

---------------------------------
[4] God is a Red
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Interesting twist in las nights crucial top table encounter in La Liga between
Deportivo and Valencia and it may just bring a wee smile to Becks' face.

A 1-0 win for Valencia effectively eliminates Deportivo from the title race as
Valencia go top through an own goal off the shin of Aldo Duscher!

Oh yes!

Martin

---------------------------------
[3] Red News exclusive - we want Becks in Bayer!
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Some of the RN lads bumped into Ted Beckham after the game in a pub by the ground.
Apparently his work have booked him on a training course for next week and he can't
get out to Bayer for the away leg as they won't let him have the time off.

We demand action! Come on all you hacks who read this site and use our stories - do
the decent thing and get a campaign to get Ted Beckham in Germany! We need as many
Beckhams as we can get out there.

---------------------------------
[2] Get the current Red News this Wednesday
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
You can get a copy of the current issue of Red News - issue 85 - before the game on
Wednesday. Just £1.50.

Help us with our costs by bagging a copy.

We will also have a special offer package for this game only where you can get a joint
package of Great United Songs and our Fergie Special - just £2 for the pair - bag it
while you can, outside Old Trafford!

---------------------------------
[1] Your memories of the season
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
The deadline for our end of season special - issue 86 - is Thursday 25th April

We're looking for your moments/memories/songs for the season for our end of season
special.

Funny/sad/on field/off it, send anything and everything to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Remember - it's YOUR fanzine so even if it's one memory - we'd love to include it.
Thanks.

This email has been filtered for swear words which cause some email systems to block
messages.