RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[23] We will fight, fight, fight for Utd
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
Fergie after the game:

"We'll come back stronger, we're going to bring in players who want to fight for this
club."

---------------------------------
[22] Fergie on finishing third
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
"The point is we're in the Champions League and there's a positive to take from that.
Albeit that we'll have to qualify in August. But we've done that before, and we went
on to have a great season. I think the endeavour and the determination next year will
be very evident."

---------------------------------
[21] Luke Steele on joining Utd
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
>From theposh.com

‘I don’t think it has sunk in that I am a Manchester United player, but I am sure it
will hit me soon. It was a very special moment when I signed the contract and it was a
feeling I will never forget. I have dreamt about this all of my life and I can’t wait
to put on the United shirt.’

And on meeting Fergie:

‘I had a meeting with him and he just talked about the club and his hopes for the
future. It was just general chit-chat and he put me at ease, he is a fantastic man and
I am looking forward to working with him. My parents were with me and we watched
United play Charlton Athletic from a VIP box.

'I sat with the players who were not involved in the game and David Beckham was
sitting just in front of me. He had just signed a new contract and he was getting a
lot of press attention. It was amazing that I signed a contract for the club the same
day that such a great player like he did,’

---------------------------------
[20] The final table
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
Hang it on the dressing room door Fergie!

Arsenal  38 87
Liverpool  38 80
Man Utd  38 77
Newcastle  38 71
Leeds  38 66
Chelsea  38 64
West Ham  38 53
Aston Villa  38 50
Tottenham  38 50
Blackburn  38 46
Southampton  38 45
Middlesbrough  38 45
Fulham  38 44
Charlton  38 44
Everton  38 43
Bolton  38 40
Sunderland  38 40
Ipswich  38 36
Derby  38 30
Leicester  38 28

---------------------------------
[19] More Becks reaction
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
"I'm Man United through and through. It would have been upsetting to leave Man United."

"When you see players like Giggsy and Keaney signing their contracts it makes you want
to stay even more.

"People have been talking about the team breaking up but it's never been closer.

"The desire the players have got and the desire the manager pumps into us - that's why
we work hard for each other and work hard for the manager."

---------------------------------
[18] Becks brainwashed
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
Oli Houston of Shareholders Utd:

"We didn't worry too much because David is United through and through thanks to his
dad who brainwashed him at an early age."

"We always felt it was just a matter of time and we're just delighted that he's signed
now.

"Contracts as important as his always end up being conducted in the glare of the
media, but the signals we kept getting from both sides were that it always looked on.

"We're already looking forward to next season and seeing him recovered from his injury
and back playing for United."

---------------------------------
[17] A chair speaks
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
Mark Longden - IMUSA Chair

"In these days of the plc, if the club did not feel he was worth it then they wouldn't
pay it."

"It's as simple as that. It's great that the club have secured him for what are going
to be the best years of his career.

"You always want your best players to stay and this is great news for everyone.

"It's also a great boost for next season. Hopefully we can come back stronger and win
the treble next year."

---------------------------------
[16] Paddy Crerand over the moon
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
No doubt for the second time this week!

"It's fantastic news for the club, the supporters and not least David's father, who is
a big United fan."

"There's been a lot of gloom about the place because of what's happened over the last
10 days or so, but this will lift everyone.

"It's the news that everyone has been waiting to hear. I know it's a cliche, but
everyone at United will be over the moon. I know I am.

"You always want to hold on to your best players and everyone knows what an important
player David is for United.

"I'm sure David must be delighted too, because don't forget he's a United fan as
well."

---------------------------------
[15] Crozier sucks up to Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
"The FA would like to make it clear that Manchester United have been working very
closely with The Football Association to ensure the fitness of all the United players
travelling with the England squad to Dubai on Monday.

"The Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been particularly helpful at all
times. I would like to thank him personally for that.

"Everyone has been working in the best interests of David Beckham and all the
Manchester United players."

---------------------------------
[14] Fergie after Kluivert?
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
According to the papers he is. He's also after Barca team mate Michael Reiziger.

One assumes he didn't watch Kluivert against Real in the Bernabeau the other week.
Hardly ripped up any trees did he?

---------------------------------
[12] My left foot part 346346
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
Becks:

"I've run for the first time today, so it's looking quite good. I've also had another
X-ray and that went well too.

---------------------------------
[11] Money talking yet again
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
>From Ananova:

The Old Firm have been asked to join the English First Division from next season,
according to the BBC.

The Scottish Premier League is in turmoil following the resignation of SPL clubs over
television rights.

It now appears that the Football League have paved the way for Celtic and Rangers to
play in the English pyramid from next season.

Reports claim that negotiations took place between Rangers chairman David Murray,
Celtic's major shareholder Dermot Desmond and Football League chairman Keith Harris at
a secret location last week.

The BBC's business editor Jeff Randall told the 9 O'Clock News: "There have been a lot
of rumours but I really do think it's for real this time.

"The clubs will obviously have to meet again and vote on the matter and nothing is
settled yet."

A report on the BBC's website continued: "The invitation will be made on Thursday by a
Football League club friendly to the deal and put to a vote by all member clubs at a
meeting in London on Friday."

There was no comment from either the SPL or the Football League on the BBC report.

There is no currently no deal in place for SPL coverage next season, prompting fellow
SPL clubs to question Celtic and Rangers' commitment to Scottish football.

---------------------------------
[10] Can we have our ball back please mister?
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
>From Ananova

An angry mob wielding machetes killed two men for taking away a soccer ball in the
middle of a game in a rural community in northern Guatemala.

Jeronimo Che, 42, and Ricardo Chaman, 21, died after being beaten and attacked with
machetes in the village of Agua Sucia de Alta Verapaz.

Police say the men were attacked after they grabbed a soccer ball in the middle of a
game and ran away with it.

An angry mob went looking for the ball at Che's home, where the group dragged the men
outside and then set the home on fire.

Police arrested three men and a woman suspected of inciting the violence.

---------------------------------
[9] Fergie: Crisis, what Crisis
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
"It's not a time for knee-jerk reaction because let's face it, to reach the last four
of the Uefa Champions League and take the Premiership to the last but one fixture can
hardly be described as failure.

"Indeed our form since Christmas overall has not been bad. I stick to my guns and will
continue to argue that we have played some of the best football in the division and we
have scored the most goals."

---------------------------------
[8] And who are you exactly
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
As some city no-mark gets some free publicity.

>From Ananova:

David Beckham's new multi-million pound deal is "bad news" for the Premiership,
according to a leading football analyst.

The Manchester United star ended months of negotiation by clinching a new deal that
ties him to Old Trafford until June 2005.

Beckham will receive a one-off back-payment of around £4.6million, plus an estimated
£90-100,000 a week including image rights.

And Nigel Hawkins, a City football analyst, has claimed that Beckham's deal is further
evidence of the ever-growing wedge being driven between clubs in Britain.

He said: "It is creating an even bigger gap between the top clubs - basically football
is the only common factor nowadays.

"Major wage increases are a matter of serious concern, but I think in Beckham's case
it is very much a one-off.

"It is no surprise that United are prepared to shell out more money for his unique
services.

"For one player to be paid £4-5million, he has to be of outstanding talent and with a
personality over and above that, and that's what Beckham has."

Hawkins suggested that in the long term the widening gap between clubs would lead
eventually to a European league.

He added: "It's bad news for the Premier League in the long run, particularly when the
TV money goes down, and I think you'll see in future a European league come into play
for the very top clubs."

---------------------------------
[7] The re-building starts
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
With England under 18 Luke Steele from Peterborough.

Ex Red Barry Fry:

I have had several conversations with Sir Alex Ferguson and I visited their training
headquarters in Carrington three weeks ago and spent three hours with him.

"However, it took us less than five minutes to sort the transfer out and it was a
pleasure and a privilege to do business with such a fantastic club and arguably the
greatest manager of all time, Sir Alex Ferguson.

"Luke has been at this football club from the age of nine and has played at every
level.

"I have watched him develop in the six years I have been here. He has got fantastic
potential and he is the best goalkeeping prospect I have ever seen at the age of 17."

---------------------------------
[6] Larry to stay?
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
Fergie:

"We're going to have a meeting during the week and hopefully there'll be some good
news."

---------------------------------
[5] Fergie on 'fantastic' Denis
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
"Although he wasn't 100% fit we wanted him to play in his last game as captain of
Manchester United as a mark of respect of the club to him," he said.

"What a fantastic player, what a fantastic person and what a fantastic buy."

---------------------------------
[4] Fairwell and thanks
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
As Ronny Johnsen and Rai join Denis through the exit door.

Fergie explained:

"We assessed Ronny's situation and he has been a terrific servant. We have no
complaints about him at all. But he has had a few injuries and in fairness we have to
make sure we have solidity in the important positions.

"He goes with our deepest gratitude, as does Raimond van der Gouw, who to me has been
a model professional."

---------------------------------
[3] Becks: Fergie word good enough
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
"I was never really worried about the contract but I did want it all sorted out before
the World Cup.

"Sir Alex had made it very clear that he wanted me to be an important part of the
club's future and his word was good enough for me."

---------------------------------
[2] Cuddly Pete on deal
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
"It has taken us a long time for us to reach an agreement on this new deal."

"The process of every player contract negotiation is different and one of the unique
aspects of David's was understanding how his global image could best be utilised to
the mutual benefit of Manchester United and David himself.

"We believe we have agreed a contract that does just that. It is important to point
out that we never once doubted that David wanted to stay at United.

"He had made a big contribution to the club's achievements over the past decade and we
all look forward to enjoying more success together in the coming seasons."

[1] Cuddly Pete assumes the position for Becks
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2002 by tb:
"The club has bent over backwards to be fair in their dealings with me and I always
knew that Manchester United were the only club I ever wanted to play for."

"So I thank them immensely and of course the fans, as I'm sure they were at times
getting frustrated.

This email has been filtered for swear words which cause some email systems to block
messages.