After reviewing the archive it looks like the KUEX radar was set on
clear-air mode
(here's the inventory color coded by mode:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/nexradinv/displaygraphs.jsp?yyyy=2011&mm=05&dd=01&id=KUEX&product=AAL2
)
but I don't think that explains the burst of activity after sunset. Based on
the velocity (20+ kts) and the direction of travel (SE->NW), those are most
likely birds. I can't pull an archived radiosonde map for the area at 8pm
last night, but I suspect (based on the more current radiosonde data) that
the winds between the surface and ~2-3k feet were light enough to allow
migration to occur... so I think this is just a case of locally good
migration conditions during the period when the highest densities of
migrants are likely to fly.

If the meteorologists want to chime in with some archived wind data, that
would be cool too!

Also, Jeff Buler at U Delaware (also doing some really cool radar
ornithology work) pointed me to this very cool website: http://soar.ou.edu/
where you  can view the unfiltered NEXRAD data back to 2008 (they are
working backwards from 2011 to fill in the missing years). Just make sure
you're viewing the non-QC'd mosaic to include biological targets.

Cheers

David

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Bill Evans <wrev...@clarityconnect.com>wrote:

>  Interesting NEXRAD image from last: substantial migration to the east of
> a front in the eastern US, nothing unusual about that, but strange is one
> isolated radar lighting up in south-central Nebraska.  -Bill E
>

> http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/radar/displayRad.php?icao=KUSA&prod=bref1&bkgr=black&endDate=20110502&endTime=4&duration=0
>
> --

> Welcome and Basics <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC_WELCOME>
>
> Rules and Information <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC_RULES>