" I can theorize how it might happen,"

I would be interested to hear the theories.  Does it have anything to
do with this area being the Rainwater Basin area?  It would be late
for sandhill cranes.    Are the ducks all gone?    How about
shorebirds? I could be wrong, but compared to back east these areas
aren't heavily birded and where they are birded 1,000+ shorebirds can
be reported in areas: http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NEBD.html.

But if this is the case, then searching historical records from the
same time period should reveal similar findings?

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/nfc-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NFC-L