David and others,
You were asking about where to get archived soundings/wind data.  There is a
lovely archive at the University of Wyoming's website here:

http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html

and equivalent archived upper-air maps here:

http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/uamap.html

and real-time profiler data here (only found over the Great Plains):

http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/profiler/

>From there you can select an image type (stuve or skew-t is likely preferred,
but hodographs are available as well if that is what you know how to read).
Then select the date and time (remember it is all in UTC) and then a location.
There are soundings here for all over the globe, so this isn't a bad site to
have on hand for investigating other sites outside the US.  You don't need to
know the number of the sounding station, you can just click on it on the map.
If you select stuve or skew-t the winds will be up the right side and those
correspond to the heights and pressures listed on the left side of the chart.

Here are the soundings from Omaha, NE and North Platte, NE for the closest
times
to Bill's original observations.  Note the significant difference in winds in
the low levels.  Omaha shows a strong north-northwest wind, while North Platte
shows a highly variable wind direction and light winds at low levels.  This
suggests exactly what David and others have theorized about.

Omaha: http://tinyurl.com/3nbtoyv
North Platte: http://tinyurl.com/3gwtu48

Another way to look at this, although not observations is to look at the
streamlines from recent model output.  I plot streamlines on my website here:

http://homes.comet.ucar.edu/~guarente/birdweather/stream.htm

I unfortunately have not set up an archive yet for my site due to space
limitations, but I might be able to rerun that date to show the effects seen in
the soundings and on radar if anyone wants to see it.  This kind of pattern
often happens with the passage of weak fronts.  The winds start to either turn
around quickly due to local effects or the winds are so weak behind the front
that migration can easily occur even in the face of a northwest wind albeit
light.

(opinion) I personally think that most bird migration discussions focus a lot
on
long distance migration nights more than they focus on those localized events
that can sweep out all the recent migrants from a small area or those that
bring
in a small push of birds very close behind a front despite the winds being out
of the wrong direction.

For this reason, I am contemplating adding winds speeds to my streamlines maps,
but it is currently unclear to me the best way to visualize this from model
data
because the winds are so variable that the map gets way too complicated for
most
individuals to read.  I might do some averaging to get a broader look at the
winds, but there are some hits taken by doing that.  We'll see what I can pull
off sometime with my extra time.

Bryan Guarente
Instructional Designer
The COMET Program