Aerosol cans are possible. The spray gun may not be necessary if the
largest thing to paint is your tank. Aerosol cans do a great job if
you do it right and there is less fuss and mess.

 On the metal parts like the tank, remove all the old paint with
jasco
and use fine steel wool to help that process in any little crevices.
Use rubber gloves and goggles (jasco is potent stuff). On the plastic
parts, use very fine sand paper and bring the old paint down to at
least a smooth haze.

Wash all parts throuroughly with lots of water and mild soap like
Dawn. Then rinse thoroughly. Use metal etch solution on the tank and
metal parts. DO NOT try to paint if the air temperature is below 65
or
if it's raining outside. When you are ready to paint, place the part
and the can of paint in a warm environment ( a household radiator is
good, or on top of lamp, or even bake in the oven at 100f). No-one in
their right mind would tell you to place a paint can in an oven, but
if you set at 100 and keep take it out after 5 minutes you are safe.
It;s best to paint parts when they are warm to the touch. Loosely
wrap
low tack masking tape around your hand sticky side out and pass it
all
around the part to remove dust and lint.

Primer the parts with sandable primer and after they are dry, wet sand
with 000 until super smooth.
Repeat cleaning steps.

Shake the aerosol can vigorously for at least 2 minutes. Start your
spray off the part and bring it in at a distance where you are
leaving
a light mist on the part evenly and quickly.

Repeat this light coat repeatedly while allowing thorough drying
between coats. This process may take days, but don't be tempted to
rush it or to apply too thick of a coat. After 3 or 4 coats you may
want to wet sand lightly with 000 very fine sand paper. Repeat
cleaning process and lint removal. Continue laying coats of paint
until you get that glossy wet look. Apply at least 6 coats.

Finally bake the parts again and don't touch them for a week. The
main
things to remember are PATIENCE, absolute cleanliness, light coats ,
and thorough drying between coats. Never touch anything with your
bare
fingers which carry oils.

I have even painted larger parts with cans and the results are still
amazing years later. However i have one advantage: I live in
California and I worked during the summer.

If you decide to go with the gun, keep the same principles in mind.

Dennis