There was a writeup on this some time back, and I think Dennis was the one to
explain it.  I think he mentioned the exciter coils or something like that.  It
is weak and quits when it gets too hot.

________________________________
From: jaybird248 <jaybird...@aol.com>
To: Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers! <nighthawk_lovers@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:00:29 AM
Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: I just have no luck with bikes

Doubtful it's the starter if the bike died when in motion, though your
standstill experience could be a sign of a starter glitch.

If the lights come on but the bike won't start, put it in second gear
and rock it until the engine rotates just a bit. That will move the
starter off a worn spot if that's the problem, and it will start right
up next push of the button.  Fix is to rebuild the starter (any
automotive electrical shop can do it ... mine was rebuilt for $90) and
reinstall.  But that death in motion thing is probably a bad
connection to the battery or ig switch.

Jay S
92 NH750
South Florida