It doesn't always happen that way though.  Last year, the starter on my
700SC went out.   Over a period of several days, it would start sometimes
and not others.   But I could always push start it in 3rd if it wouldn't
start and once it was running, it never stopped.   When I took it in, I was
standing there when he pulled the end cover off.   The brushes all fell out
as chunks and dust.   He told me he didn't see how it ever started that way.
But, in fact, I'd been in to see him just a few hours earlier and at that
point, he was telling me I needed a new battery and he was going to order
one.   I pressed the starter after we talked and vroom, it started and I
left.

When I came back the second time that day, I told him I had doubts about the
battery theory since I'd just put a full charge on the battery and
immeditely after, it wouldn't start.   He put a meter on the starter motor
and that lead to pulling the end cover off the starter and everything fell
out - and the battery theory was not looking so good.

A new set of brushes and I was good to go.

Anyway, that's what happened to me.

Dennis G.
- Seattle