Dennis,
 
Yes, I think I understand it.
 
I swapped the blue & yellow wires at the 3P MINI connector just before the
coils.   The problem did not change; 2 & 3 still spark and 1 & 4 do not.
 
If I understand things, this fact is telling me that I have good signal from
both sides of the Ignitor because now 2 & 3 are firing using the signal from
the other side of the ignitor.   So, if both sides of the ignitor are
working, then my problem must be beyond the ignitor.  I.e., the coils or
their wiring.
 
I pulled the coils out again and had a really good look at them. 
  
- I remeasured the resistance on both primaries and secondaries - all still
good.   
- I checked for continuity on the wire that carries ground from one coil to
the other - it's good.   
- I tested the primary's resistance and continuity from the coil side of the
3P MINI plug and everything was good from there.   
- I measured the resistance from the primary to the secondary on both coils
and it was basically infinity.
 
So, I can't see by using my VOM where the 1 & 4 coil is any different than
the 2 & 3.   
 
My next step was to swap the coils and see if the problem moves.   And it
did.   Now 1 & 4 are sparking and 2 & 3 are not.
 
My conclusion is that one of my coils is bad but I'm pretty baffled as to
why both coils seems identical when I test their continuity and resistances.
.
 
I'm interested on your thoughts on all of this, Dennis.   Am I missing
something here?

Dennis G.
- Seattle

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Dennis Hammerl
Sent: 06 June, 2009 11:06
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: My CB700SC and the CDI unit


You do understand what I'm talking about ? It's very simple, you're trading
components to determine which one is at fault. The pins come out of the
plastic connectors by inserting a small screwdriver in and moving the tang
out of the way. I use a tool made for leather working. Study the plastic
connectors first and make notes of where the wires belong for later. Your
problem should move to the 2-3 set at some point. That's when you find the
bad part. 

--- On Sat, 6/6/09, Dennis <[email protected]> wrote:




From: Dennis <[email protected]>
Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: My CB700SC and the CDI unit
To: [email protected]
Date: Saturday, June 6, 2009, 1:27 AM


Beautiful.   I'll be on it in the morning if business here is light.
Thanks!
 
Dennis G.
- Seattle

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Dennis Hammerl
Sent: 05 June, 2009 22:13
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: My CB700SC and the CDI unit


I did say you could move the wiring around at the connector plugs to insure
your diagnosis was correct. Now you really should. Go to 22-1 and you'll see
that the 1-4 pair at the coil is the bl/w and Y. The 2-3 set is bl/w and Bu.
Switching those pairs and still having the 1-4 set out would indicate the
coil is bad. If the 2-3 set went out, move back to the CDI. Now you switch
the yellow and white pair with the blue and white pair. That switches the
pulser coils at the CDI. If the 1-4 pair is still out, it's the CDI. If it
swaps and the 2-3 set is out, it's the one pulse coil that's bad. Yes, by
all means, check for continuity at all wires. A similar failed part ?
possible. Use your VOM to eliminate confusion and check all point to point
wiring and grounds. 

--- On Fri, 6/5/09, Dennis <[email protected]> wrote:




From: Dennis <[email protected]>
Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] My CB700SC and the CDI unit
To: [email protected]
Date: Friday, June 5, 2009, 10:46 PM



Well, my new Ignitor unit came and I installed it and my bike still has the
same symptoms.   That is, cylinders 1 and 4 are not getting any spark.

I sat down and had a longer look at the schematic and I can see some
possible scenarios that might be consistant with the facts on hand.  

Those facts are: 

- I've measured the resistances of both my primary and secondary coils and
my pulse generator coils and they all show continuity and resitances that
are within spec.

- I've tried two different Ignitor units (my original and the new one) and
the system fails the same way with either (no spark on 1 & 4).

Scenario # 1 is that the new ignitor unit is bad in the same way that the
old one is, i.e. failing on the cylinder 1 & 4 side.   I don't think much of
this idea however - seems like too big a coincidence.

Scenario #2:  that even though the pulse generators both measure good on
continuity and resistance, the one that sends the signal for 1 & 4 may,
somehow, be out of place relative to the central shaft that spins with a
magnet on it to generate the pulses.   I'll be able to see this, I think, by
cranking the bike and looking for voltage pulses coming up the cable from
the pulse generators.   If both sides have similar pulses, then I think this
won't be the issue.  If one pulse is low or mssing, then I'll open the pulse
generator cover and see what's what in there.

Scenario #3:  one of the connectors linking the pulse generator cable to the
Ignitor may be corroded and not passing signal.   Frankly, this seems remote
to me.   The surfaces seem clean and I've plugged and unplugged them several
times.

Scenario #4:  The wire that carries the 1 & 4 signal from the ignitor to the
1 & 4 coil may be open.  I can run a simple continuity test to demo this.
I know the ground wire and the 2 &3 wire from the ignitor to the coils has
to be good as I've got spark on 2 & 3.

Scenario #5: The wire on the coils that carries the ground from the 2 & 3
side to the 1 & 4 side may be open. 

Scenario #6:  The connection where the 1 & 4 signal from the ignitor
connects to the 1 & 4 coil may be corroded and not passing the signal.
I've had this disconnected and reconnected and it seems unlikely to me like
in #3.

Dennis H., are you reading this?   I'm looking at page 19-0 in my CB700SC
manual and I'm wondering if I'm missing some other scenarios?

Dennis 
- samadhi<soft|coda|muse>.com 












--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to