Personally I'm not qualified to give someone riding advice on how to ride.
But keep in mind that when you down shift you are only braking with the rear
tire. At least 70% of your stopping power comes from the front brakes. Also
locking up the rear tire can make you go down just as easilly as locking up
the front, with the potential to throw you off the bike in a high side. If
you want to read an excelent book on how to ride safely I'd suggest
Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well  by David Hough
There are used copies on amazon for $10 http://amzn.com/1889540536He
discusses all about braking and traction management, as well as cornering,
swerving, edge traps, etc. Its a great read.