Good question indeed.

I use a combination, out of a matter of habit, mostly because my '95,
with it's rear drum/front disc setup is the newest bike I've ever
owned.

Back in the day of all drums, bike and car, downshifting with steady
front/rear brake application was the only way to haul it down in a
straight line in a hurry.  So downshift-and-use-both-brakes-with-
synchonized-pressure was praticed until it was ingrained and became as
natural as breathing.

What's more important to my way of thinking, is allowing enough
following distance to avoid a heavy-braking situation to start with.
The classic defensive driving technique -- the "what if?" game of
anticipating hazards long before they materialize -- will save your
butt more often than state-of-the-art brakes.