I don't get off the bike.  I swipe the card, fill it and try not to splash.

Although I have leaned & leaked

Apr 11, 2010 11:02:06 PM, nighthawk_lovers@googlegroups.com wrote:
Both of mine do that. I make sure to fill up while on the kickstand for that reason. If you think about it, nobody puts a bike on the center stand to fill up at a gas station so they weren't designed for that.

From: bull city
To: Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!
Sent: Sat, April 10, 2010 1:42:41 PM
Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] 83 550 Gas Cap Seal Question

Two days ago I filled up my tank, while using the center stand, with
as much gas as would fit. The station is about a 1/4 mile from my
house. Yesterday I took the bike out in the drive and put it on it's
side stand. After a while I noticed the smell of gas and saw that the
gas was leaking from the top of the tank all over the tank. It was
enough to ruin the paint (which really sucks). My last bike would not
do this.

So is this something I need to keep in mind with an early eighties
bike that cant be fixed or should I look at fixing the seal?