I've heard the term vapor lock used specifically when talking about
airplanes or cars that are fuel injected.  The term is related to gas
that is in a fuel line that evaporates creating a bubble that can not
be pushed through the line.  The solution is indeed to get the fuel
back below its vapor pressure (it condenses and the bubble goes away)
and the fuel will flow normally again.  I have not hard it in
reference to the level of fuel in a tank, although on a motorcycle
your fuel pressue depends on how high the fuel is above the carburator
so I'm not positive.  Different fuels may have a slightly different
vapor pressure depending on additives, thus thebetter experience with
Shell fuel...

"E"