From: MOPARJOE <joe_angelu...@yahoo.com>
Sender: nighthawk_lovers@googlegroups.com
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:45:16
To: Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!<nighthawk_lovers@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: Black Chrome exhaust pipes for 700-S
(restoration)

HI Graham (and others),

Yes, looking for correct/stock restoration of the Black Chrome;
nothing else even comes close. I have been in the classic car
restoration thing for over 30 years, and there is no paint that is
gloss black, and will stand the heat of the header part of the
exhaust. ALL 1200 degree paints go on a flat black color, and many/
most/all will turn a lighter shade (looks grey) after the pipes get
hot. Many are cheap, and will peel off, especially if pipes are not
cleaned well enough. NEVER use primer, as primer does not have the
high heat resistance to not burn off, and thus will take the top coat
with it.

The place that I found that DOES do Black Chrome is in Nashville, TN
(I thought it was in NY, but I looked it up again), and their name is
NITROPLATE.  The guy told me $1800.00, and they needed to be a pretty
nice set. They also cannot take out dings dents, and can only grind
out minor scuffs/scrapes.

I was told there may be a place in lower Michigan that does the Black
Chrome, but I haven't been able to find them yet (even asked one of
the fellow members on here, that lives in Michigan, and he didn't
know).

Maybe if we can have more people/members research this, someone will
get lucky and find a good source to have it done, without costing a
fortune. Put out the word,a nd let's see what we can find, and/or come
up with.
Thanks, Joe