I also believed the kill switch was for emergency. Why use the kill switch
when you can shut the bike off with the key? As for the fuel, I always
leave mine on, unless of course your floats / carb aren't working properly.
Then you want to turn it off until you get a chance to fix it right.  Right?

I actually purchased the owners manual for my CB650SC and it states on page
 22:

"ENGINE STOP SWITCH"
The engine stop switch (1) is next to the throttle grip. In RUN, the engine
 will operate. In OFF position the engine will not operate. This switch is
intended primarily as a safety or emergency switch and should normally
remain in  RUN.

NOTE:
If your motorcycle is stopped with the ignition switch ON and the engine
switch OFF, the headlight and taillight will still be on, resulting in
battery  duischarge.

In a message dated 8/19/2011 8:07:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,