Okay, going to take a stab at this.

One, your bike makes 46% more power than the Nighthawk with only a 6% bump
in displacement (ish). It weighs ever so slightly more, only really
applicable during acceleration.

The bike is setup to encourage higher speed travel, which increases drag and
increases fuel consumption.

It probably is /much/ cleaner at the tail pipe than the performance tuned
Nighthawk. The tradeoffs of emissions cleanup means you end up burning a bit
more fuel to have less emissions at the pipe. Odd, counter-intuitive
thought, but it's true (for most things. There are diminishing returns). The
big one that's a PITA to tame is the NOx/PM relationship: if you want less
NOx, you have to cool the chamber, usually by adding more fuel to make a
slightly rich condition. Richer mixtures make more PM. Leaning the mixture
to reduce PM increases NOx, but richening makes more PM... gah! Of course,
richening the mixture also increases CO and HC in gasoline engines.

You admit that the computer isn't well matched to the bike on your model
year; this probably impacts mileage as well.

I imagine if your VFR had an engine that power-matched the Nighthawk instead
of roughly matching it in displacement, your mileage would probably go up
significantly. Takes gas to make Whee, after all. :D

-Kurt