I'm in the process of restoration on my Triumph. its the last year before they went to oil in the frame. My plan is for it to be totally stock show room condition when I'm finished.
________________________________ From: "[email protected]" <[email protected]> To: [email protected] Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:56 PM Subject: Re: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: NH 650SC Carb Gasket How's the Triumph? I have a 71 On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Mack Swanson <[email protected]> wrote: I've never had to do anything to my 82 750 NH. Bought it new and still going strong with no mods. Choke on to start, ride about 2 blocks and turn off choke and its fine. In the early spring and late fall maybe a little more choke needed but here in Detroit we do get some extreme differences in weather from hour to hour. > > > >Mack >1982 750 NH >1970 650 Triumph Bonneville > > > > >________________________________ > From: "[email protected]" <[email protected]> >To: [email protected] >Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:31 PM >Subject: RE: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: NH 650SC Carb Gasket > > >My 86 gl 1200 does not need the mod. > > > >---Original Message--- >From: [email protected] >Sent: 2/22/2012 12:38 pm >To: [email protected] >Subject: Re: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: NH 650SC Carb Gasket > >On my '96 750 NH two #4 washers per needle are the best set up. I have done >the same thing on a 93 Suzuki gs500e, and I believe also on a '84 GL1200 >(Allen?), all giving really good results. > >Javier. > >On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:23 AM, surfswab <[email protected]> wrote: > >> <I think someone put some >> shims in there and the bike seems to run rich.> >> >> Much as I hate to admit it, that may be something the PO actually did >> right. Hondas tend to be cold-blooded (slow to warm up and run right >> and a characteristic mid-throttle hesitation) because the carbs are >> set purposely lean from the factory to avoid running afoul of the EPA. >> >> A common mod to improve throttle response is to insert two Radio Shack >> #4 washers under the needles, in lieu of a trial-and-error rejet. It >> improves performance throughout the range. >> >> I won't let the PO off entirely, though. It depends on whether he >> used the correct washers. I forget the exact measurements of the >> washers, but I know #4 works best. Of course, if he used some other >> washers out of a can he had lying around, he might still be the dufus >> we've accused him of being ;-) >> >> Anyway, #4s would only cost ya a couple bucks, and you'd know you had >> the right ones. >> >> >> >> On Feb 21, 6:21 pm, 85_NH650 <[email protected]> wrote: >> > Hi Pat. >> > Somehow the ascii drawing got distorted, but you got the picture! >> > Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the group. Now I feel better >> > about installing these gaskets. I guess the POs were reinstalling torn >> > gaskets and used sealant to prevent leaks from the tear and old >> > rubber... >> > I'll be tackling the needle jet next because I think someone put some >> > shims in there and the bike seems to run rich. >> > Thanks again. >> > Richie >> > >> > On Feb 21, 12:24 pm, Pat Patterson <[email protected]> wrote: >> > >> > >> > >> > > Nice askii sketch btw. That's called a double lip o-ring. In the >> > > hydraulics world it's the best but can be fussy to get to lay in the >> > > grove properly. You MUST make sure it doesn't get rolled or twisted >> > > on install. Don't use any sealant But a light smear of oil (110% no >> > > dust or grit) can sometimes help it seal for startup. On fussy >> > > sunstrand pumps I've used a very light smear of white lith grease but >> > > carbs don't work at 2500psi so you should be ok. >> > >> > > At 08:02 AM 2/21/2012, you wrote: >> > >> > > >Hi Bob, >> > >> > > >Just to clarify, this is what a cross-section of my gasket looks like. >> > > >The upper part is more 'rounded' of course and fit the carb's groove >> > > >perfectly while the bottom part has a groove inside that runs around >> > > >the entire gasket's shape. >> > > >Richie >> > >> > > >Bowl Side >> > > > ________ >> > > >/ \ >> > > >| ______ | >> > > >|_| |_| >> > >> > > >Body Side >> > >> > > >On Feb 20, 6:26 pm, [email protected] wrote: >> > > > > I just looked at a spare carb and was reminded that the gasket is >> a molded >> > > > > o-ring that matches the shape of the groove in the bowl. The >> o-ring looked >> > > > > to be round(cross section). >> > >> > > > > On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 1:23 PM, 85_NH650 <[email protected]> >> wrote: >> > > > > > Hi Guys, >> > >> > > > > > I finally decided to take the plunge and clean my carbs myself. >> I have >> > > > > > an 85 NH 650 that had terrible recurring issues with hesitation/ >> > > > > > choking/stalling at low speeds while performing fine at higher >> speed. >> > > > > > I had the jets cleaned a couple of times but the problems came >> back >> > > > > > within days. This started around the time ethanol was introduced. >> > >> > > > > > I'm still in the process of cleaning the carbs, but I'd like to >> know: >> > > > > > 1). which side of the gasket faces the float bowl (bottom part of >> > > > > > carb): the rounded side or the 'grooved/flat side? >> > > > > > 2). Do I need to use any kind of sealer/compound or RTV (?) type >> stuff >> > > > > > on the gaskets before installing? Or anything else to 'treat' the >> > > > > > gaskets before installation? >> > >> > > > > > It looks like whoever worked on the carbs before used some type >> of >> > > > > > gasket sealing stuff and I had to soak/clean up a mess of old and >> > > > > > newer material that had deteriorated and clumped into the carbs >> and is >> > > > > > probably effecting the low jets. We shall see. >> > >> > > > > > I'd appreciate any help/advice you can give me as this is the >> first >> > > > > > time I tackle this task to cut down on the cost of having >> someone else >> > > > > > do it for me. >> > >> > > > > > Thanks, >> > >> > > > > > Richie >> > >> > > Pat Patterson >> > > Abbotsford, BC, Canada >> > > VA7PDP >> > >> > > 2001 PT Cruiser >> > > 83 450 Honda Nighthawk >> > > 78 F350 460/C6 on propane >> > > 71 Bronco 302/C4/D20 D44/9" {o===o} >> > >> > > "Just add Lightness-" >> > > Colin Chapman. (1928 - 1982)- Hide quoted text - >> > >> > - Show quoted text - >> >> -- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. >> To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. >> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to >> [email protected]. >> For more options, visit this group at >> http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en. >> >> > >-- >You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. >To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. >To unsubscribe from this group, send email to >[email protected]. >For more options, visit this group at >http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en. > >-- >You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. >To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. >To unsubscribe from this group, send email to >[email protected]. >For more options, visit this group at >http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en. > > > > > -- >You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. >To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. >To unsubscribe from this group, send email to >[email protected]. >For more options, visit this group at >http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en. > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected]. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en. -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected]. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
