I checked their site but I still can't figure out what jet needles I need 
for my 1985 NH 650SC. I'll check my manual and/or email them later I guess.
Thanks.
Richie

On Saturday, March 24, 2012 5:18:27 PM UTC-4, Graham Rogers wrote:
>
> I just bought jets for a 650 and 700S from these guys
> jetsrus.com/
>
> Graham
>
> On Mar 24, 2012, at 3:12 PM, 85_NH650 wrote:
>
> I'd like to thank all of you guys and this group for giving me the 
> confidence to tackle my carb cleaning. It gave me a lot of insight into the 
> condition of my bike and saved me a lot of money since my time was 
> 'free'... It took a lot of cleaning to remove all the gunk from previous 
> PO's fixes, but my bike is now running just fine. 
> Does anyone have a link to where I could get some jet needle replacements 
> for a 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650SC, but it looks like I need at least one of 
> those replaced.
> Again, thanks to all of you.
> Richie
>
> On Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:33:15 PM UTC-5, surfswab wrote:
>>
>> <MPG> 
>>
>> You should get in the neighborhood of the 40s.  Too many variables to 
>> be exact.  Headwinds, windshield or no, tire size and condition, 
>> passenger or not, speed, style of riding, etc. 
>>
>> Best to track gallons vs. mileage over a period of time, then average 
>> the numbers to come up with a ballpark for your particular bike. 
>>
>> My 750 generates 42-ish.  I've heard of more sedate riders getting as 
>> much as 50 and some zoom-zoomers as low as in the 30s. 
>>
>>
>> On Feb 22, 2:31 pm, 85_NH650 <[email protected]> wrote: 
>> > You guys are on the right track. I found an old invoice showing that 
>> > they installed a set of #38 pilot jets and 8 washers. I guess I'll 
>> > find out what size they are when I get to that part. I did read about 
>> > the washer mod on several sites. 
>> > 
>> > BTW, what kind of gas mileage should I expect from an 85 NH 650? I'm 
>> > in Florida, but (unfortunately) I only ride it once in while, so I 
>> > lose track... Great bike though. 
>> > Hey Surf, I have to go easy on the PO here, because some day I might 
>> > be one... ;-) 
>> > 
>> > Thanks guys. 
>> > 
>> > On Feb 22, 2:23 am, surfswab <[email protected]> wrote: 
>> > 
>> > 
>> > 
>> > > <I think someone put some 
>> > > shims in there and the bike seems to run rich.> 
>> > 
>> > > Much as I hate to admit it, that may be something the PO actually did 
>> > > right.  Hondas tend to be cold-blooded (slow to warm up and run right 
>> > > and a characteristic mid-throttle hesitation) because the carbs are 
>> > > set purposely lean from the factory to avoid running afoul of the 
>> EPA. 
>> > 
>> > > A common mod to improve throttle response is to insert two Radio 
>> Shack 
>> > > #4 washers under the needles, in lieu of a trial-and-error rejet. It 
>> > > improves performance throughout the range. 
>> > 
>> > > I won't let the PO off entirely, though.  It depends on whether he 
>> > > used the correct washers.  I forget the exact measurements of the 
>> > > washers, but I know #4 works best.  Of course, if he used some other 
>> > > washers out of a can he had lying around, he might still be the dufus 
>> > > we've accused him of being ;-) 
>> > 
>> > > Anyway, #4s would only cost ya a couple bucks, and you'd know you had 
>> > > the right ones. 
>> > 
>> > > On Feb 21, 6:21 pm, 85_NH650 <[email protected]> wrote: 
>> > 
>> > > > Hi Pat. 
>> > > > Somehow the ascii drawing got distorted, but you got the picture! 
>> > > > Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the group. Now I feel better 
>> > > > about installing these gaskets. I guess the POs were reinstalling 
>> torn 
>> > > > gaskets and used sealant to prevent leaks from the tear and old 
>> > > > rubber... 
>> > > > I'll be tackling the needle jet next because I think someone put 
>> some 
>> > > > shims in there and the bike seems to run rich. 
>> > > > Thanks again. 
>> > > > Richie 
>> > 
>> > > > On Feb 21, 12:24 pm, Pat Patterson <[email protected]> wrote: 
>> > 
>> > > > > Nice askii sketch btw. That's called a double lip o-ring. In the 
>> > > > > hydraulics world it's the best but can be fussy to get to lay in 
>> the 
>> > > > > grove properly. You MUST make sure it doesn't get rolled or 
>> twisted 
>> > > > > on install. Don't use any sealant But a light smear of oil (110% 
>> no 
>> > > > > dust or grit) can sometimes help it seal for startup. On fussy 
>> > > > > sunstrand pumps I've used a very light smear of white lith grease 
>> but 
>> > > > > carbs don't work at 2500psi so you should be ok. 
>> > 
>> > > > > At 08:02 AM 2/21/2012, you wrote: 
>> > 
>> > > > > >Hi Bob, 
>> > 
>> > > > > >Just to clarify, this is what a cross-section of my gasket looks 
>> like. 
>> > > > > >The upper part is more 'rounded' of course and fit the carb's 
>> groove 
>> > > > > >perfectly while the bottom part has a groove inside that runs 
>> around 
>> > > > > >the entire gasket's shape. 
>> > > > > >Richie 
>> > 
>> > > > > >Bowl Side 
>> > > > > >  ________ 
>> > > > > >/              \ 
>> > > > > >|  ______   | 
>> > > > > >|_|          |_| 
>> > 
>> > > > > >Body Side 
>> > 
>> > > > > >On Feb 20, 6:26 pm, [email protected] wrote: 
>> > > > > > > I just looked at a spare carb and was reminded that the 
>> gasket is a molded 
>> > > > > > > o-ring that matches the shape of the groove in the bowl. The 
>> o-ring looked 
>> > > > > > > to be round(cross section). 
>> > 
>> > > > > > > On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 1:23 PM, 85_NH650 <[email protected]> 
>> wrote: 
>> > > > > > > > Hi Guys, 
>> > 
>> > > > > > > > I finally decided to take the plunge and clean my carbs 
>> myself. I have 
>> > > > > > > > an 85 NH 650 that had terrible recurring issues with 
>> hesitation/ 
>> > > > > > > > choking/stalling at low speeds while performing fine at 
>> higher speed. 
>> > > > > > > > I had the jets cleaned a couple of times but the problems 
>> came back 
>> > > > > > > > within days. This started around the time ethanol was 
>> introduced. 
>> > 
>> > > > > > > > I'm still in the process of cleaning the carbs, but I'd 
>> like to know: 
>> > > > > > > > 1). which side of the gasket faces the float bowl (bottom 
>> part of 
>> > > > > > > > carb): the rounded side or the 'grooved/flat side? 
>> > > > > > > > 2). Do I need to use any kind of sealer/compound or RTV (?) 
>> type stuff 
>> > > > > > > > on the gaskets before installing? Or anything else to 
>> 'treat' the 
>> > > > > > > > gaskets before installation? 
>> > 
>> > > > > > > > It looks like whoever worked on the carbs before used some 
>> type of 
>> > > > > > > > gasket sealing stuff and I had to soak/clean up a mess of 
>> old and 
>> > > > > > > > newer material that had deteriorated and clumped into the 
>> carbs and is 
>> > > > > > > > probably effecting the low jets. We shall see. 
>> > 
>> > > > > > > > I'd appreciate any help/advice you can give me as this is 
>> the first 
>> > > > > > > > time I tackle this task to cut down on the cost of having 
>> someone else 
>> > > > > > > > do it for me. 
>> > 
>> > > > > > > > Thanks, 
>> > 
>> > > > > > > > Richie 
>> > 
>> > > > > Pat Patterson 
>> > > > > Abbotsford, BC, Canada 
>> > > > > VA7PDP 
>> > 
>> > > > > 2001 PT Cruiser 
>> > > > > 83 450 Honda Nighthawk 
>> > > > > 78 F350    460/C6 on propane 
>> > > > > 71 Bronco 302/C4/D20 D44/9"  {o===o} 
>> > 
>> > > > > "Just add Lightness-" 
>> > > > > Colin Chapman. (1928 - 1982)- Hide quoted text - 
>> > 
>> > > > - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text - 
>> > 
>> > - Show quoted text -
>
>
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit 
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/nighthawk_lovers/-/TtDyvDX9umAJ.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> [email protected].
> For more options, visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>
>
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/nighthawk_lovers/-/gZ2Yz6rK5DwJ.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.

Reply via email to