Thanks for all of the replies and good advice! A lot of useful information!
As mentioned, I have driven this route before, I am aware of the traffic
until Phoenix and how desolate it is after El Paso. Have been looking ahead
at potential gas stops, etc.

I will certainly post as many pictures as possible.

I already have a Corbin seat with the small, probably 7" high, padded
passenger back rest. Also have Kuryakyn hand grips. I'm planning for around
340 miles days.

Normally when I start out on long driving trips, I like to get up early and
do a lot of driving in the cooler parts of the day. like to avoid driving
in the hottest part of the day. That's usually when I stop for food, rest,
etc.

Really don't eat a lot of heavy meals when I'm driving, makes me sleepy.
Not that picky on hotels, since I'm not buying the place, so basically any
place works for me.

I realize the 750 Nighthawk might not be the best touring motorcycle, but
it is the only one I have. I'm sure it will work out fine, I don't really
have any time frame for the trip. I take a little comfort in the fact that
in the book 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance,' presumably he was
riding a 305 Superhawk, from Minnesota to California.