OK I'm really not a purest but....  Aren't the CB line in-line 4- cylinder
bikes?

A CB500F makes sense to me in that it would be a great bike for communting
that you can on longer trips - probably a lot like my 95 750.  However, it
has a sport bike seat which is just plain confusing to me.  If I'm
commuting I want comfort and if I have a rider on the back I don't want
them having to lean up against me - that's what sport bikes are for.  It
you look at the pictures you see that the rider is always leaning forward -
I guess to make the bike look more sporty.  However, in normal riding you'd
be more upright.  Time will tell but I think the CB500F is one of those
bikes that just don't fit into any market.

I'd take a long hard look at the NC700 or NV700 before I thought about the
CB500F.

Sean