Yeah I understand those of you that like the quiet. When I was younger I
couldn't get my bikes loud enough, but now that I'm older I'd rather be
less conspicuous.  The problem though is that most of the time I'm riding
with my son, who has a loud bike.  So not only am I unable to hear my bike,
I actually can hear his bike really well, which is distracting (And please,
no advice about telling my son to get a quieter bike:) ).  Maybe it
shouldn't matter, but I always enjoyed listening to the engine, helping me
decide on gear changes.  Obviously that isn't the only thing I use to
decide on a gear change, but it is part of it.  Now all I can hear is the
growl of his engine:)

Though I get it,  that a lot of you guys like the quiet, I'm looking for
someone out there who actually has an idea for making it louder without
changing the entire exhaust.  The "drilling holes around the rivets" idea
is interesting.  Anyone else know anything about that?  Does is
significantly increase volume?  More importantly does it mess with the back
pressure/carb mixture, etc.

Thanks!