thanks for the suggestion Scott. Yup, any grease especially silcon grease
would work since the part is plastic.
Unfortunately it is after the fact. Looks like the pin/spike had already
been broken once and been glued. Did not take too much to undo.
If I cannot find something, then it is off to the hardware store for some
jerry rigging.