[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Isaac Boy wrote:

>> So I was assigned to photograph 5 doctors in a hospital. They were all
>>wearing white. I set the camera on Aperture Priority and the film was Fuji
>>400 print also. For better sharpness I used 1/125 sync. I shot with
>>different apertures, but the exposure was always 3D auto. Result: 8 unusable
>>underexposed pictures and the need for a new photo session (everything on
>>manual this time).

>Are you sure the negatives were underexposed? Automatic enlargers will almost
>always produce dark prints when there are large light areas in the image.
>Because the negative is darker than typical/normal, the machine overexposed
>the print, producing a dark, "underexposed" picture. Look at the negs - if
>they are correctly exposed the doctors' coats will appear very dark. In any
>case, shooting print film you have a pretty wide latitude - w/ Fuji 400 you
>should be able to get very good prints from negs 1 sop under, decent prints at
>2 stops under IF your lab knows what it's doing.

>I suggest you take the negs back and have the lab reprint them, only tell them
>to correct the exposure. You may find that the second photo session was
>unnecessary.

I often have to have the lab redo prints because their autoprinters get
fooled by the lighter than middle grey photos I tend to take.  One of the
techs at the lab recognizes me and knows my style and knows that she needs
to monitor the printer for my processing job.  I do expose
properly by experience at the time of exposure and verified on the neg.

I don't have an N70 but I do use 3D matrix flash metering on my N90s/SB26 often
and I think it is likely the case that the N70 exposed correctly and the
lab didn't print it right like [EMAIL PROTECTED] suggests.  Part of what 3D matrix
flash metering does is to determine the reflectance of the subject and to
adjust the flash exposure accordingly.

David Johnson