Prasad, dear friends,

Though I'm still convinced only Nikkors can deliver the proverbial Nikon
quality images, I'm using the Tamron SP AF 90/2.8 D Macro and it's a lot of
fun. It's one of my favorite lenses and though I do macro work from time to
time I rather use it for portrait photography. I like the materials and the
construction of the lens. The only thing I don't like at all is this
tricky, uncomfortable turning wheel for setting FULL or LIMIT focusing.
Concerning image quality I find the lens very sharp and very contrasty (if
anybody should have other experiences please correct me!). I've never used
the mentioned Nikkors, I suppose they are wonderful lenses (I think I heard
sometime ago that the 105 was even too sharp for portraiture), but I know I
wanted a portrait/macro lens and I didn't want and couldn't spend the money
for the 105 of Nikon.
Would I buy the Tamron again? Yes I definitely would. Even if I had the
money for the AF-Nikkor 2.8/105D? Well, I would give the Nikon a try-out. I
personally think, photography has got a lot to do with loving your
equipment. So the best advices could be the worst for you. Give those
lenses a try-out.

Merry Christmas to all of you,

Wolfgang

>Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 06:52:12 -0800
>From: "JOSHI, Prasad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Help needed for selecting micro/macro lens [v04.n163/27]
>Message: 27
>
>Hi all,
>
>I am thinking of buying a micro/macro lens, since the only lens I own Nikon
>28-200 isn't useful for close up shots of flowers etc.
>
>I have 3 choices in mind :
>1. Nikon AF 60mm f/2.8 D Micro
>2. Nikon AF 105mm f/2.8 D Micro
>3. Tamron SPAF 90mm f/2.8 Macro 1:1
>After reading other discussions on the same subject I am leaning towards
>Tamron, because I can probably use this one even for portraits.
>Any comments, suggestions are welcome.
>Thanks,
>Happy Holidays,
>- - Prasad

Wolfgang Spekner
 Franz-Nabl-Institut für Literaturforschung
[Franz-Nabl-Institute for Literary Research]
 Humboldtstrasse 9
 A-8010 Graz
 Austria
Tel. ++43/316/685269