Alexander writes:

"I've got new 85/1.8 AFD recently and I'm very disappointed with it's
mechanical quality. When I shake it I clearly feel that something is
shaking inside"

This bugged me at first, too.  Also, the lens makes an odd noise when
rapidly focused (manually).  I had the pre-D version and now the D.
I've shot them about 4 years, moderate useage.  I never cease to be
amazed at the image quality, and I've never had a mechanical failure.

I attribute the "slop" to the need for light, rapid AF.  I no longer
worry about it.

I keep reminding myself to forsake my craven zoom foolishness, and to
rely more on my primes.  My wife is not a photographer, but she can
always spot the 4x6 prints (I know, poor way to judge a lens) that were
shot with the 85 f/1.8.  She says, "That was the 'magic lens', wasn't
it?"

The 85 f/1.8 AFD is one of the great bargains in the Nikon lineup.  I
don't want to spark a holy war (zoom vs. prime), but this lens could
cause a few defectors from the zoom camp (be afraid, be very afraid).

Happy New Year.
-Todd
--
Todd & Sharon Peach